AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,
I am a new guy to these forums. I have been browsing around at a few of the topics and see that there are some amazing home theater builds out there and I am extremely jealous :p I've been trying to find the answer to my problem about running my wires on this forum, but I not entirely sure where I stand.

I am building a "built-in" entertainment unit. I say it like that because it is not so much built in the wall, as it is being built free-standing and bracketed to the wall. The bottom of the unit contains 7 enclosed boxes in where I plan to store my components (Receiver, Cable Box, Blu-Ray, XBox, Etc. ) Of course all of these need access to power and some of them need access with each other. Not being an expert in this area at all, I originally planned to move a socket behind one of the boxes, cut a hole in the back and plug a power management bar into it. Then connect all of the boxes together with conduit in the back and run my wires through them to where they needed to go. Now, I didn't realize running LV with power in the same space is a no-no and running power cords "concealed" is against code.

Now I am not sure if what I am doing is considered concealed the way I intend to run it. My unit is going to be made free standing, but made so the sides of it sit flush with the wall, while the rest of it has a 3" gap from the already finished gyprock. The until will be attached to the existing wall with brackets. If I run my wires in that gap, are they still considered against code? If so, is there any suggestions on how to run the wires cleanly so I can't see them in my shelves?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I have attached a rough illustration as to what the front looks like and a top down view of the bottom section.

Thanks,
Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
I am building a "built-in" entertainment unit. I say it like that because it is not so much built in the wall, as it is being built free-standing and bracketed to the wall. The bottom of the unit contains 7 enclosed boxes in where I plan to store my components (Receiver, Cable Box, Blu-Ray, XBox, Etc. ) Of course all of these need access to power and some of them need access with each other.
If you're building this, take a look at the pull-out, in-cabinet racks or a DIY equivalent solution instead of building individual boxes for the equipment. #1 you're going to hit a bunch of cabling and thermal issues and #2 as soon as you finish this project you're going to upgrade some piece of equipment that won't fit without changing the size of the box(es)...

Not being an expert in this area at all, I originally planned to move a socket behind one of the boxes, cut a hole in the back and plug a power management bar into it. Then connect all of the boxes together with conduit in the back and run my wires through them to where they needed to go. Now, I didn't realize running LV with power in the same space is a no-no and running power cords "concealed" is against code.
I don't think this qualifies with any definition of 'concealed' as power goes... Routing power cords through furniture and "cable management" devices is common and allowed.

But I'd be very concerned about thermal management based on your description. Check out the cabinet cooling setups at Coolerguys.com or coolcomponents.com before you commit.

The until will be attached to the existing wall with brackets. If I run my wires in that gap, are they still considered against code? If so, is there any suggestions on how to run the wires cleanly so I can't see them in my shelves?
Don't think it would be against code, but you're going to have a hard time plugging it in after it's installed. Make sure you can reach the outlet so you can plug/unplug your power strip / manager when it fails and needs to be replaced.

As for concealing the wires, there's a lot of ways to keep the wires tidy. Search for "cable management".

If you really want the clean look, a pull-out sliding mini rack with faceplaces is the way to go. Sticker shock on the piece parts may nix that - but there are DIY answers, too.

Jeff

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
Like built-in kitchen cabinets, you can install outlets or permanently installed power strips in yours. Power strips can be hardwired, fed with Romex or BX (armored) cable (check local codes).

If you can't stomach the price of the slide out racks, consider CFR racks.

Link shows laminate racks, but you can do similar with CFR.
http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/data/2255781/0/0b/0bf390fb_IMG_0095.jpeg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.