AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a Onkyo TX-SR504 on order along with Velodyne CHT Front Row/VX-10 Sub 5.1 setup. What speaker cables do you recommend that would work with the 504? 12AWG could be too big to fit but 14AWG and 16AWG sound right, I am not sure though. I only need about 50ft of wire. The cables are not going in walls and the room isnt too big. I shouldnt need the banana plugs right? I am a little confused about the subwoofer, to use a subwoofer cable or the Y-spitter in my situation. Im just not sure right now, these last few details will help me alot. Thanks.

Also a side question: are SPDIF and coaxical the same? (computer sound card has SPDIF)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
monoprice seems to be sold out of all the good 14awg wire, maybe home depot has some? Im not sure whether to use speaker-level terminals or line-level input jacks for the sub. BJC doesnt help me too much.

·
Premium Member
3,155 Posts
You will use the line level to your sub! And the receiver will be performing bass management for the satellite speakers. Any 14awg wire will be fine. Hell, 16awg would be fine as well. No banana plugs are required.

SPDIF is consumer-level digital audio, it is carried by either coaxial or optical connections.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The line-level isnt the same as the sub pre-out or speaker-level? I can use both in my situation I suppose but which one is better?

What I am trying to understand is that do I need the Y-Splitter, a regular coax cable, regular speaker cable for speaker-level, or something else? with line-level there is only one cable from the receiver going to the sub, as the receiver does the bass management?

·
Premium Member
3,155 Posts
I don't understand why you are talking about y-splitters and such. Run speaker wire to the satellites. Run a single audio cable from the sub pre-out to the line-in on the sub. Set speakers to small and calibrate.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Digital coax or analog coax audio cables for the sub pre-out? Do you know if Home Depot sells 14AWG speaker cable for cheap? and those coax. monoprice is out of stock on everything I want!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok well monoprice seems to be sold out on ALL speaker wire. They really suck, I have been waiting for 6ft optical cables, and while waiting the 16awg 100ft cable got sold out, it was the last cable left. They need more stock wtf!! What are my alternatives now. Where can I buy cheap 14awg or 16awg speaker cable and optical cables and subwoofer cables. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkp3 /forum/post/0

Ok well monoprice seems to be sold out on ALL speaker wire. They really suck, I have been waiting for 6ft optical cables, and while waiting the 16awg 100ft cable got sold out, it was the last cable left. They need more stock wtf!! What are my alternatives now. Where can I buy cheap 14awg or 16awg speaker cable and optical cables and subwoofer cables. Thanks.

Uh, ever heard of any local stores? WalMart, Home Depot, Radio Shack, et al, all carry relatively inexpensive cables.

Sure, maybe not as dirt cheap as Monoprice, but at least you can get some.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Damn monoprice.. almost.. well thanks i'll just have to check out the local stores I guess and hope to find good deals especially on optical cables. Lots of stores like to overcharge for digital coaxical subwoofer cables though

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Well, then, don't buy a "digital coaxial subwoofer cable" - buy a video cable with RCA plugs on it and it will work as good as a "subwoofer cable" (there is no "digital" in most subwoofer connections) and likely be much cheaper too.

For that matter, buy a length of RG-6 coax and put some F>RCA adapters on it and you will have a cable that works as good as any.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.