AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
There is no discussion of the legality of commercial skipping and ReplayTV's name is not mentioned even ONCE!!!

DNNA better hire a decent PR firm, and yesterday!

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
But Tivo is mentioned a bunch of times. Jeez, talk about being a red headed step-child :p

·
Registered
275 Posts
Okay, everybody should send the author of the article an email reminding him that Replay was the first to market with a DVR and that Replay, for the most part (we won't mention that nasty word called "stability"), just trounces TIVO !

Author's name:

Frank Rose:

Author's email:

[email protected]

Let 'er rip !

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
got a reply from the author

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. On Replay, the fact that SonicBlue has been put out of business precisely because it skips ads automatically makes them not terribly relevant to the current picture. Hence, they didn't make the cut. For fuller portraits of some of the people/companies who were featured in the piece, you can follow the links on my web site.

Best,

Frank

·
Registered
653 Posts
I have sent this writer 2 e-mails now and I thought some of you might like to see them.

My fist e-mail:
Quote:
How could you write an article on the state of the DVR and not mention ReplayTV once?!? This is a machine that invented the 30sec skip button and the only company to sell a DVR with AUTOMATIC commercial advance like on many VCR's, The first to have broadband connectivity. The first to have unit-to-unit streaming, and the first to have Internet show sharing.

Now the newest units will not have some of these features because of network lawsuits.

It seems to me you did not do your research very well at all. As all of these items must be understood to really know the current climate of the DVR market.
His response: (notice mine and Lizard_Boys are the same!!!)
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. Obviously I'm aware of Replay--but the fact that SonicBlue has been put out of business for the features you describe makes them not terribly relevant to the current picture. Hence, they didn't make the cut. For fuller portraits of some of the people/companies who were featured in the piece, you can follow the links on my web site. http://www.frankrose.com
My second e-mail to him:
Quote:
I do not think it is obvious the you know anything about ReplayTV.

Yes, SonicBlue is out of business. It is incorrect however to blame the lawsuits. They ran out of cash because they made too many acquisitions too quickly.

ReplayTV has been bought by the parent company of Denon and Marantz audio, they have ReplayTV back in BestBuy, Radio Shack and other major retailers don't you think that makes it worth at least one mention alone?!? Not to mention that they have a new model about to be released. Oh and in home networking is free, not $99 like TIVO

The EFF won a settlement from the parties that in fact affirms the right of users to have a device with the commercial advance feature. I would think that because of the subject of your article that would warrant mentioning. http://www.eff.org/effector/16/22.php?rss=1#III

Please do not insult the intelligence of Wired readers by saying you knew all of this and you choose to ignore it. That in fact does not make the article look better but worse.
Yea, I know I got snippy in my second response, but I got upset that his lack of research he seemed to think ReplayTV was out of business.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I got essentially the same answer from the author, that the article was about DVR effects on TV advertising, not about DVRs...seems to me that the CA feature would have been very relevant to the article, but what do I know?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
To me the reality is ReplayTV is currently off the radar. Tivo's exploring various markets, figuring out how to face iminent competition. Replay's trying to figure out how to build a stable product and put together a marketing campaign that will put them back on the radar. All the while they are alienating current people with poor customer service (based on what I hear on this board).

I still say (as many already have) that the future belongs to integrated cablebox/sat PVR's and possibly (but I doubt) TV integration. More than one company can survive in that market as the software provider. Hopefully Replay gets a piece of that pie and continues to maintain its channel guide info.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.