18. The Day The Earth Stood Still

19. Akira

20. Barbarella

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
you can't argue with the inclusion of any of the movies on the list

Well I can.

A Clockwork Orange More obligatory Kubrick overkill. Is this strictly science fiction because it was set in the future? (Can't argue with 2001)

The Boys From Brazil Huh? Amusing, I suppose, but in the top 20? Or 50?

Tron I assume this is just nostalgia from GenXer's, but it's abysmally acted and, though imaginitive, wears out it's welcome long, long before it's over. A fun bad movie that's not all that fun.

Soylent Green Strictly grade "C" sci-fi, insufficient budget, Edward G. Robinson in his last performance its only real asset.

Planet Of The Apes Just because the remake was so bad does not necessarily mean that the original was all that good. Rather dated; loved it when it came out, and I wish I still could. No special effects at all, too.

Akira Everyone assures that this is not the be all and end all of Animee. I've only seen this one and Princess Mononoke (or however it's spelled), but I really don't see what the fuss is about.

Barbarella It was dumb cheese in the sixties, and though I haven't seen it in a while, it seems unlikely that age could have dimmed its luster. Plus Roger Vadim couldn't direct his way our of a warm paper baguette.

The Day The Earth Stood Still third from last?? (At least it beat out the above two.) No Forbidden Planet? How about War of the Worlds, or the 1956 Invasion of the Body Snatchers? How about Metropolis (not the cartoon) or Things to Come? Or the first version of The Thing (maybe even the second)? Quatermass and the Pit (also known as Five Million Years to Earth)? George Pal's The Time Machine?

Who came up with this list?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CW:

You can voice your excellent opinions to www.wired.com .

I couldn't agree more with manny of your comments. I also feel that Forbidden Planet's ommision is an agregious sin...

They provide rather droll reasons for each film's inclusion on their web site. BTW, I love Wired magazine and the latest issue is actually one of their best efforts.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I didn't think a whole lot of Gattaca. I would nominate Silent Running, which was just (re)released for DVD, and is IMHO one of the all time underappreciated Movies. I think Barbarella should be kicked off immediately and replaced with Star Trek TMP.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Man I am glad I ended my subscription to that rag. Barbarella what a space joke of a film. What about Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek didn't make the list, but brought in more money than the whole total of 20 ever did and is still doing. I wouldn't waste any money buying the screwup that come up with that list. Soylent Green a favorite on my list isn't on DVD disc or software at all.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by hob
...What about Battlestar Gallactica...Soylent Green a favorite on my list isn't on DVD disc or software at all.
I didn't realize that Battlestar Gallactica was a theater released film, I thought it was only a TV show?

Uhmmm. yes, a VHS version of Soylent Green has been available for quite some time. You can see it here .

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
And Dark City is still the most underrated sleeper in the scifi world.

--Jerome

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
The Boys From Brazil, Sleepers, and Barbarella would not have made it on my list. Certainly Dark City, T2, and perhaps The Fifth Element would have been on my list above those.

Gary

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Jurassic Park and The Road Warrior are considered Sci-Fi films?? I enjoy both of these films, they just don't seem like Sci-Fi movies to me.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
Interesting comment. Jurassic Park's science is still definately fictional even though we have cloned mice, farm critters, and (maybe) humans. But nobody has ever brought back an extinct species even though we have (relatively) fresh DNA from Mammoths, Passenger Pigeons, and Giant Moa birds.

The Road Warrior is definately a sub-genre of SciFi: post-apocalyptic survival after the disaster (nuclear war, giant meteor, plague, etc.) destroys civilization and most of the humans.

I think SciFi has finally been accepted as a mainstream form of fiction - but YOU at least, retain a shread of that attitude that developed in the 50's when a lot of really bad "B" movies were made.

As for me, I've always loved "B" movies. When I can't get bad SciFi in "B" movies, I'll reluctantly watch really really bad stuff, the "C" movies.

Gary

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.