AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've got two hardwired smoke detectors in my house, one up and one down. these are connected to the house power as far as i can tell. i cannot tell if they are connected to the security system - i don't think so.

the rest of the smoke detectors are battery powered wireless (they all go off if one goes off) but they are flakey and of course not automated.

i want to install fire alarms in all the bedrooms and wire all of them to a central panel (i plan on getting an ELK). So, i have three questions:

1. Are there low voltage fire alarms (no battery) that are powered off of the ELK panel? I found this on line and the manual suggest that it is 12/24v http://www.systemsensor.com/pdf/I56-1800.pdf , which suggests this is the case. if this is all true, what alarms do you guys recommend?

2. What wire do i pull to each smoke alarm location now, before I get the alarms and panel? 18/4? Firewire? I'm about to start painting and fixing drywall holes which is forcing me to finish the wiring

3. Is it possible to replace the two fully powered alarms with something that is hardwired to 110v and connects to the ELK panel in the same way?

Thanks -

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
I use Bosch low-voltage smokes with my elk, and i used the red firewire. dunno about the 110V thing.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
System Sensor are very good smoke detectors imho.

You need to find a compatibility matrix between the smoke detector you choose and the panel you will connect it to. Not to say that they won't work just fine, but you want the documentation should anything ever happen.

When in did my alarm system the Elk M1 was relatively new, and no smoke detectors were listed for use with it. I installed an Ademco panel instead.

18/4 is probably a lot more wire than you need. Depends on how far the smokes are from the panel and how much juice they draw (are you using the smokes with built-in sounders?).

Not familiar with "firewire", but you should use FPLR wire for smoke detectors.

And yes, there are hard-wire smoke detectors that have a form-c contact built in. I forget who makes them, but I believe it starts with 'Z'. Search for "smoke alarm form c". Again, the problem is having the alarm listed for use with the panel. Not to say it won't work just fine.

IVB- are you using the low profile Bosch (the ones that are flush with the ceiling?) I wanted to use them but even wholesale they were way too expensive.

Tim

·
Registered
5,313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim /forum/post/15561704

IVB- are you using the low profile Bosch (the ones that are flush with the ceiling?) I wanted to use them but even wholesale they were way too expensive.

Tim

Nope, just the generic ($25? bought a long time ago) Bosch ones.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts