AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing some reading and the only clear answer I've seen is that 2 WAP54Gs bridged is a good solution. Is there consensus?

What I'm looking for is a wireless solution for a single 5xxx. I've got a wired netgear router currently for a broadband network connection.

I do archive and burn from my PC and I'll likely set it up for wireless as well while I'm at it.

I'd be very thankful if anyone with experience could illustrate the solution they came up with.

The WAP54G is currently $110 so that solution would be $250 approx. a bit much and I'm not sure it would be worth it, cheaper just to punch holes in the wall.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I think your solution should be based on your requirements. If you only want to use the WiFi connection to perform net connects with the Replay and to archive stuff to your PC, I think an 802.11b (or 802.11b+) solution is fine.

If, however, you want to accomplish reliable streaming (medium and high quality) between the RTV and the PC (or 2 RTVs), you probably want to go with the bridged WAP54G approach.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahhh...

So would you then suggest the FAQ suggested Linksys WAP11 and WET11 approach? that works out to $160 which is slightly more palatable and does off the chance to upgrade my PCs with wireless cards.

Does anyone have experience with the cheaper "Game-centric" bridges? the WGA11B is a few bucks cheaper than the WET11...

Does the WET11 still suffer from lockups requiring power cycle?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Couple more questions:

Is wireless 'B' acceptable. I don't at this point plan on streaming, but there are two places where this might be an issue.

I do on-line game, and if I put a wirelss card in my PC for the Access Point anybody know is 'B' causes latency?

The other is transferring shows off the RPTV to the PC. Is the difference between B and G throughput enough to make G worht it?

I realize the answers depend a great deal on personal preference and situation, I'm just asking for opinions, what would you do in my stead?

·
Registered
744 Posts
You might want to consider looking at the D-link 802.11b+ access points. I can't recall the part number(DWL-900+, maybe?), but two of them can be configured to work in bridge mode. The 802.11b+ is a D-link only spec that is interoperable with other 802.11b, but supposedly gives you up to 22Mbps when working with other D-link equipment. I have seen attractive rebate offers for D-link gear from OfficeDepot before, so you may look there.

As for game adapters, I believe these will work. I have seen some reports of people using them successfully.

Another option appears to be the WAVIT11 802.11b device (~$40). Read this thread to see if this might work for you:

. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=299857

Personally, I use a mixed wired/wireless approach right now. I have two RTVs on a wired network connected by a Netgear 10/100 Switch. Connected to the switch is a Linksys WET-11 (this connects my "Replay" network to the outside world). The Linksys WET-11 talks to a residential gateway (all in one 802.11b access point, router, DSL modem: 2Wire Homeportal 1000W).

I could never get streaming to work over 802.11b with WEP enabled, that is why I opted for the wired network to connect the two Replay units. It was worth it. Both of them still go through the wireless link to get guide updates, though.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have a wireless Netgear router MR314 and the linksys wet11. As I have said before this allows streaming from RTV to PV via DVarchive of up to medium quality shows. This type of option is affordable and would probably give youy the options you seek.

Al

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.