AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to stream audio from my desktop in my home office (on the 3rd floor) to my living room (on the 2nd floor) through wireless.


I've googled a little, and found that there is royal wes 600, but I don't like the sender which is kinda big, and the reviews are not that good.


I also learned about audioengine aw1, and the reviews are pretty good. But I'd like to hear what experts say or make recommendations before I go for something. So, please share your 2 cents. Thank you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by getusername /forum/post/20835743


I'd like to stream audio from my desktop in my home office (on the 3rd floor) to my living room (on the 2nd floor) through wireless.


I've googled a little, and found that there is royal wes 600, but I don't like the sender which is kinda big, and the reviews are not that good.


I also learned about audioengine aw1, and the reviews are pretty good. But I'd like to hear what experts say or make recommendations before I go for something. So, please share your 2 cents. Thank you.

Apple Airport Express or AppleTV, Logitech Squeeze box and Sonos are your most popular choices for audio streaming.


Sean
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_w_smith /forum/post/20835766


Apple Airport Express or AppleTV, Logitech Squeeze box and Sonos are your most popular choices for audio streaming.


Sean

I just watched a youtube video of SONOS. It's pretty cool, but it is an overkill for my purpose. I just need a basic solution to be able to listen to online radios from my living room. Don't even worry about remote control. It's for my dad. If he wants to change the channel, he would have to go to my home office computer and change it there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by getusername /forum/post/20835802


I just watched a youtube video of SONOS. It's pretty cool, but it is an overkill for my purpose. I just need a basic solution to be able to listen to online radios from my living room. Don't even worry about remote control. It's for my dad. If he wants to change the channel, he would have to go to my home office computer and change it there.

Aaaaah.....what about the other choices listed?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by getusername /forum/post/20835802


I just watched a youtube video of SONOS. It's pretty cool, but it is an overkill for my purpose. I just need a basic solution to be able to listen to online radios from my living room. Don't even worry about remote control. It's for my dad. If he wants to change the channel, he would have to go to my home office computer and change it there.

airport express
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by getusername /forum/post/20835743


I also learned about audioengine aw1, and the reviews are pretty good. But I'd like to hear what experts say or make recommendations before I go for something. So, please share your 2 cents. Thank you.

I'm using an AudioEngine W-1 and have no complaints. Things to keep in mind is that any digital audio link will have A-D-A conversions using cheap DAC, so don't expect audiophile quality. Compared to RF analog alternatives however it's much better. It uses wireless networking protocol, so a wireless network in the area may interfere, as will any 2.4 GHz stuff. I've never had any dropouts with mine over about 30 ft without line of sight.


Don't rule out just getting a media streaming box for $100 that might have the internet radio features being used. Of course it would need a network connection.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
If you use iTunes the Airport Express works great. If you have an iPod or iPhone the Remote app works great at controlling it. You can connect the Airport Express right to an existing receiver.


T
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,047 Posts
Looks like iTunes is a requirement w/Airport Express. Is it possible to install it on WHS and stream .mp3 and .flac music folders/files I already have on my WHS?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh /forum/post/20837792


Looks like iTunes is a requirement w/Airport Express. Is it possible to install it on WHS and stream .mp3 and .flac music folders/files I already have on my WHS?

No itunes is not a requirement. There are winamp and media monkey plugins as well as some 3rd party software called airfoil that will let you use any software you want including a browser to send music to an airport express.


According to this getting iTunes loaded on WHS is not an issue either:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/foru...php?f=5&t=9350


Sean
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brajesh /forum/post/20837792


Looks like iTunes is a requirement w/Airport Express. Is it possible to install it on WHS and stream .mp3 and .flac music folders/files I already have on my WHS?

itunes doesn't support FLAC out of the box. There are some plugins for FLAC but they suck. ALAC is the preffered lossless codec for iTunes.


MediaMonkey etc have no problem with FLAC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
I too looked at the Airport Express, but what are my options if I want to stream from an iTunes enabled NAS (Synology) without having a PC turned on? It appears the AE requires some software running on a PC (iTunes, MM, AF, etc.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,276 Posts
Your SOL then. None of the NAS's support a modern iTunes library evidently.


The only other way is via an iphone or ipod as the source using airplay. This way you can do pandora, spotify etc and the phone/ipod is the source beaming audio wirelessly to the AE.


buy a sonos then.


Sean
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,276 Posts
I always had poor luck with their squeezecenter software which is required when I owned 4 SB's. It always had issues scanning my library which scans fine in iTunes, Media Monkey, XBMC, Plex and Boxee. It would hang. always was having issues with cover art, duplicates, etc. It was an OK solution I just found the apple solution much better for way way less money.


pay radio and streaming options are better with SB and Sonos.


I also tried over the years running SC on a couple of NAS's and that was even worse because they were so slow.


I've installed 2 sonos for friends and those are great. obviously the most expensive of the 3 per zone but IMO so much beter and so much less hassle than with the logitech system.


Its mostly a question of whether you want to pay $100, $200, or $300 a zone and what features you want. I just don't like the logitech options after owning them. I have been totally happy for the last 9 months since I sold off the logitech and setup a 6 zone system as the utah house. CA house has 8 zones.


YMMV.


I use airfoil all the time on the family mac mini to stream Spoitfy and RadioIO mostly.


Sean
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top