AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I neeed some advice on the best way to stream audio stored on my media server in wma lossless to pda clients via 802.11b/g.

I would like to use a pda to control and play the music. Ideally i would like to have support for streaming radio too, but thats another question.

I want the user to be able to choose an album or playlist from an easy to use front end on ppc, and then have the audio streamed to the pda and output through the headphones or some active speakers.

Currently I have the server with my cd's as wma lossles (although as I've only just started ripping them i could change format if i really have to) I have a wireless netowk and a dell Axim.

Most music playback will be from a dedicated hush pc that will map a drive to the server for music. but for a couple of other rooms i want a cheap and cheerful pda solution.

I was looking at MC9.1 or 10, but i dont think it streams to pocket pc clients. There is a music lobby ppc product but i think this is only for control, not playback. Is it possible to do the drive mapping thing from a ppc running windows mobile? or is streaming my only option.

thanks

RD

·
Registered
734 Posts
I've heard that browseamp does what you're asking, although it only works with winamp from what I hear. I don't know much about streaming, but you can defiintely use PDA, Laptop, or any other device as a remote via your LAN. I have never used it, but Im just getting into the whole HTPC revolution and I thought this might help.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, that browseamp looks quite interesting, but it still only seems to do control, not the actual music streaming. I'm begining to think that it will probably be easier to put a multichannel sound card in the server and use it directly to drive speakers in the other rooms, which are all quite close to where the server will be. I might then use MusicLobby to control MC and use its multizone capability.

This leaves me another problem though. I will have MC on the server driving sound to 3 rooms. I will also have MC on the pc in the living room, but acting as a client to the server. Will i be able to use one copy of musicLobby PPC to control both the server and the client, or will i need two controllers? one for the server+zones and one for the living room set-up?

thanks

RD

·
Registered
191 Posts
802.11b wireless cards in the ipaqs, windows media player for the pocket pc, map a folder to the wma files on the server, and or create playlists of some sort in WMP9 for PPC for ease of use and play files off the lan - should work.

I grab files over wireless to the ppc store the mp3s on a 256 Mb SD card and play tunes into headphone off the ipaq 3850. Streaming over a good wireless 5 ghz or 2.4ghz connect should work fine. [in theory]

Ipaq is not here tonight to test - sorry

Oooops saw this part after i posted ...

"Is it possible to do the drive mapping thing from a ppc running windows mobile?"

Yes! therein lies the most important piece I didnt mention ..... mapping LAN server drives onto the PPC is and can be a challenge with just the provided PPC OS tools.

Ya need to go to www.mobileplanet.com or some such site that specializes in shareware apps for the PPC and get the LAN drive mapping software. Allows you to map network shares onto your PPC. Its fussy software but does work once you tweak on it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
You didn't mention what kind of PDA you had, so I'll

make a suggestion. There are a few handhelds out there

that run linux. The Sharp Zaurus being the most notable,

because t runs linux from the factory. THe Ipaq will also

run linux by flashing the rom, for example, from
www.openzaurus.com. You can even load an

entire Debian environment. Check out
www.pocketworkstation.com.

Once you run linux on your handheld, you're open to a

huge range of choices. You could install Mplayer, which

is a very mature linux media player, and plays most any

format, including streaming media.

The current Zaurus handhelds DO NOT HAVE A SPEAKER OR MIC,

but the Ipaq may, and the upcoming Zaurus does.

I own a Zaurus, because the flexibility of linux is so very

attractive in a handheld.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
phelmers... Wow I just tried it, that audio streaming works really well. I had windows encoder 9 anyway, for use with EAC for ripping CD's. It is really really simple to set up streaming with 9. and it works perfectly all round my house and garden at 128 kbps straight to the axim.

I think the big problem will be that i can only output what is going through the dfefault sound device, which is fine, but it would be hard to set up multiple zones playing different tunes.

I think that on the whole it will be less hassle to have each zone being played through speakers driven from a single server, and then use a PDA as remote control. But it would be really cool to be able to have the pda also stream the output, for wireless listening and generally wandering around the house.

It looks like i will also be able to stream my TV cards output as well, which is awseome!

RD

·
Registered
139 Posts
RedDom:

There may be ways to solve your multiple zones requirement. There is a $39.00 piece of software called Virtual Audio Cable 3 which can create virtual audio devices.

This would allow you to take the output of one or more instances of a media player such as Winamp and supply this otput to Windows Media Encoder as a virtual audio input device. Each instance of Winamp would appear as a unique input device. Windows Media Encoder can then run multiple instances, one per virtual audio input, with each streaming to a different port - thus giving you multiple zones.

Note that I haven't tried this so I don't know about the overhead of having multiple players/encoders going at once but since its only audio, it should be doable...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.