AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a new RTV and will connect it to my wireless router (PArke Vision) via a brodge, since I do not have ethernet connection in room where RTV will be located.

Please let me know which of the many bridges will work best, with least amount of configuration. I know that Buffalo is recommended, but I do not want to buy a new router, since PV router works fantastic and is 50 days old.

I'm a bit confused....Linksys offers the WET 54G at about $160 and the WET 11 at much less.

1. Is one bridge better then the other and can I use a bridge by Linkysis, or another company, with my PV router?

2. If the WET 54 G is the way to go, what do I have to do to set it up properly so my computer, attached to the wireless router, + RTV recognize the bridge? Phil

·
Registered
240 Posts
I used to use a Linksys WET11 bridge back when I only had one ReplayTV unit. If you are only going to use it for the nightly downloads and do not plan to stream video to or from the ReplayTV; the WET11 should be just fine. When I got my second RTV unit and wanted to stream shows between the 2, the WET11 was not a viable solution. I tried the WET54G and it performed WORSE than the WET11. That was over 1 1/2 years ago so maybe it has changed. At that time I sold all my current wireless network equipment and purchased Buffalo routers. I have 5 of them in the house and one Belkin, been working fine for the past 1 1/2 years.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I tried for 2+ months to get a wireless bridge going, mainly using two wrt54g's running dd-wrt. none of the configs performed very well, streaming was just barely, and nightly downloading of shows was a complete waste. the bridges tended to not stay up and occasionally dropped. in the end I ended up stringing 100-150 ft of cat5e, and am SOOOO much happier!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just buy a linksys game adapter. It is cheeper and pretty close to flawless. It is good out of the box. But the firmware upgrade makes it great. I think I paid 70 for mine. Buy the G one not the B one.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If you want cheap... you can get Belkins.. make sure it is version 2000, so it works right of the box... older version, you need to upgrade the firmware... newer version version 4000 will not work since they took out the wireless bridging feature... only able to become an AP. version 3000 might be usable.. I only saw the router web menu and it has the wireless bridging menu. You can have 40 a piece. Some store have rebates now end then or you can always go to ebay.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I connected a linksys router WRTG54 to a Belkin AP F5D7130 it was not as easy as I though but I'll try to explain the steps. What you need to do is set up a WDS (wireless distribution system) in repeater mode between the router (WRTG54) and the AP(F5D7130). This will allow the router and AP to talk to each other while still allowing clients to connect (a bridging WDS will not allow clients to connect). I other words you will connect you RTV to the net and extend your wireless signal at the same time through the AP. After this you should have a lot more wireless coverage.

DSL Modem --------->WRTG54 ))))))) (((((((F5D7130-------->RTV5040

First of all the WRTG54 right out of the box does not support WDS (wireless distribution system) in repeater mode so you will have to upgrade its firmware to Freeman/Talisman (FreemanBasic_V1.0.4_wrt54g.zip PM me if you can't find it).

1. Find the WLAN MAC address of the router (browser setup -->Wireless tab--->WDS Subtab. (remember this place because you'll have to come back and add the AP WLAN MAC address here)

2 Find the WLAN MAC address of the AP ( browser setup --> openening page)

3. Add the AP MAC to the WDS section of the router (see 1 above)

4. Add the router MAC to the AP (you may have to change the AP's IP to match the routers domain [the first three sets of numbers must match abc.abc.abc. xxx])

That should do it. Obviously I'm assuming you already have a a running wireless network if you don't do not try this first. Setup your wireless and make shure you can connect to the internet, then you can proceed.

Another option will be to buy 2 Belkin F5D7231-4 wireless router and set them ups to work on bridge mode. This routers can be setup to do this without having to upgrade their firmware you'll just have to set up the WDS as above.

You may want to read this article in setting up a WDS. Go to tomsnetworking and do a search under F5D7130 and select the "How To: Setting up WDS Bridging / Repeating" I learned a lot from it.

Good Luck

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneBopp
Just buy a linksys game adapter. It is cheeper and pretty close to flawless. It is good out of the box. But the firmware upgrade makes it great. I think I paid 70 for mine. Buy the G one not the B one.

If this works with my Parker Vision router, this is certainly the way to go..has anyone else tried a simple Linksys gaming adaptor to serve as a wireless bridge to connect thier RTV to their wireless network? Phil

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.