AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys (and gals if any) I would like to know if any of you have ps2 wireless controllers. If so which ones you have and how are they??? If not then what have you heard about them. I know for the gamecube the ones to get are those Wavebirds but i'm confused towrds the PS2 selection of wireless controllers. Thanks in advance!!!! :)

Alex :D :D :D

·
Registered
916 Posts
I got the MadCatz Wireless controller. It's OK, about the same as the stock controller, and rechargable. Each full charge is good for at least 4 hours or so of play, and when you walk away, you just drop the controller on the charging cradle.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have the Saitek WOW (WithOut Wires) adapter, which plugs into Controller sockets 1 & 2, and has a "base" which you connect your controllers to.

I like it because you can use whatever PS2 controller you want. But it only supports two controllers. If someone could figure out a way to get two WOWs to run together for 4 controllers, that'd be great for multiplayer stuff.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Same here as bhiga. Great cause it does not change the feel of the game since you keep your own controllers but you're out of luck for more than 2 players.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the logitech, and it is excellent. I do not notice any lag. Plus it is rf, so there does not need to be a direct line of sight between the controller and the playstation2. Only drawback is that it"s a bit bulky.

Regards, Paul

·
Registered
916 Posts
"If someone could figure out a way to get two WOWs to run together for 4 controllers, that'd be great for multiplayer stuff."

I haven't seen this WOW thing, but I got this Multi-Tap adapter from a company called Performance (Madcatz and Sony have thier own, I think). It plugs into 1 Joystick port, and has 5 joystick ports. I wonder if you can plug 2 wireless adapters into one of these Multi-Taps?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hey Lee,

Already checked with Saitek on running 2 WOWs side-by-side. No deal, they said. Probably has to do with the frequency ranges the product can use. Essentially it'd need some type of A/B switch to toggle between two frequency sets.

Both the RF transmitter and receiver would need to be modified. At best, it'd just be swapping clocks on both, but my electronics background is too weak to even venture into that.

A single WOW does work off the PS2 multitap though... At least the Sony one.

Brandon

·
Premium Member
4,292 Posts
I have the logitech and I disagree with the previous poster. I think it is pretty crappy. It's OK so long as you don't intend to use the digital control pad for anything crucial. In ratchet and clank it is fine since you maneuver with the analog stick. But if you try to use it on contra, you'll find yourself shooting the floors when you intended to shoot straight ahead. It has a tendency to aim toward a diagonal rather than a straight up, down, left or right. Also, the L3 and R3 buttons are much too easy to press. You will find yourself accidentally pressing them when you did not intend to do so.

It is definitely not worth the money they charge for it and i wish I had returned it when I first discovered the problems. IGN gave the fountech a good review but I am a little leary because their review of the Logitech actually praised the d-pad if memory serves.

reaper

·
Premium Member
4,292 Posts
buttonmasher,

Do you own the airstyle? Is everything about it great or are there any drawbacks? It does sound like a good controller from the IGN review. Does the d-pad work flawlessly? I have thought about replacing the logitech with the airstyle but I don't know if it's worth the cash to do so.

reaper

·
Registered
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by reaper
buttonmasher,

Do you own the airstyle? Is everything about it great or are there any drawbacks? It does sound like a good controller from the IGN review. Does the d-pad work flawlessly? I have thought about replacing the logitech with the airstyle but I don't know if it's worth the cash to do so.

reaper
I own two of them. Look and feel is too close to the Sony controllers. Solid feel and size. There are some issues though for me.

1. EA's NBA Live 2004 and March Madness 2004 do not work at all. Madden doesn't have any problems. Strange . . . EA doesn't have a clue or even wants to have a clue. The controllers came from Hyper-Cafe (distributor) and they didn't have a clue either. They thought the problem was something else, #2. They sent me a replacement but it didn't fare any better.

2. On occasion I would lose the connection. They say it's inteference from the 900Mhz phones? This is a 900Mhz controller so it only needs two batteries. I replaced one of my phones but I still had a couple of drop outs. They said that if I was in an apartment that could be the problem. Unfortunately I live in a house.

Nevertheless, the look and feel is a dream but I couldn't be competitive with the AirStyle because it may cut off for a moment (until I unplugged/plugged it back). I knew it was too good to be true.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Dredging up a year old thread here, sorry (and Happy First Birthday thread!)...

I'm interested in wireless gamepad for my PS2. Reading through reviews, I initially narrowed my choice down to the AirStyle. But now have 2 separate sources noting that it sometimes drops signal (inexcusable no matter how good otherwise). Logitech apparently has a lousy D-pad, which would drive me nuts.

Just found this one: Arsenal Falcon wireless controller: http://www.arsenalgaming.com/item.as...ireless&page=1

Has good review. It uses 2.4gHz, which concerns me (I have a 2.4 gHz wireless access point for my computers). Anyone have any experience with this controller? Conflicts with 2.4g phones or networks?

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
I use the new Logitech PS2 and Xbox controllers with a 2.4GHz phone and a 2.4GHz Linksys router. No interference issues with any devices.

·
Registered
274 Posts
yes, supposedly the new logitechs kick serious tail. i do own a pair of Airstyles, and i can say that the most notable issue is when battery life is approaching its end - unlike wavebirds, which are reliable to the last breath, the Airstyles will cut in and out. at least, thats been my experience.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.