AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had to share.. the wife bought me a pair of Pioneer 1000 wireless headphones (with dolby wireless headphone amp) for my birthday. I guess she got tired of waking up in the night with the house under seige from attack helicopters, sonic booms, depth charges, etc.

What an amazing bit of Home Theater gear it turned out to be! I've got a decent but not high end HT system with Rotel pre/pro and amp, B&W matrix speakers etc. But the detail and clarity I'm able to get out of the pioneer is far superior to my 5K+ sound system. And for a total of $400.

The dolby headphone amp does a great job of arranging the sounds in space to correlate surprisingly well with where I hear them from my 5.1 system. And it does a good job of making it sound seem to originate from outside rather than somewhere inside your head. However the amount of detail I'm hearing along with the continuous sound field is just leagues better than I get with my 5.1 system. (Admittedly, my room doesn't allow for optimum speaker placement.)

Since it's Infrared instead of RF, I hear no background hissing or the other usual artifacts you get with even the best wireless speakers or cans. It sounds as good as wired phones to my ears. Listening to my concert DVD's is just a whole new experience.

The only knock on them is that like with accurate speakers, you only hear the deep base when its actually meant to be there. So overall its not as basey as my HT setup, though its there in spades for the big base scenes. And I would say its actually more accurate.

Also, it takes some doing to watch laying down - which is probably the biggest negative.

But again, holy cow what great sound, and what a fantastic extention to Home Theater. If I were living in an apartment or condo, this would be an absolute must have. As it is, I love the sonics enough that its a must have anyway never mind the early to sleep wife and kids.

Some more details - its only availabe in the US through a Japanese importer audiocubes.com. But my wife said she received the unit from Japan 3 days after giving the order. It comes with its own recharger, various dolby headphone settings, a step down converter, rechargable batteries, and has worked flawlessly from day 1.

It also has a headphone jack for another set of wired headphones which is a nice plus. But bottom line, if you're looking for high quality HT sonics for not much money, feel your sound levels constrained by the neighbors (or S.O.), or just looking for a killer newHT gizmo, you can't go wrong here. I haven't heard this discussed much, so I thought I'd bring it to the forums attention. Highly recommended!!

(disclaimer - I have no relationship other than satisfied customer with Audio Cubes or Pioneer)

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't had any problems with the transmitter at all as long as its in the range of sight (which any infrared device must be), and I wouldn't want to give up any of the sound quality I'm getting with the extended sonic range of the 1000 over the 800s.

I also chose not to get the X-Box version of the 1000 that has much bigger though some say boomier and less accurate base. Overall, they've far exceeded my expectations.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes the instructions ARE only in Japanese (if I recall), but setup is very simple. Digital Out from your pre/pro or receiver, charge the batteries and hit the ON button. There's also rca's in for listening to 2 channel music in 2 channel or DPLII.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.