AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
18,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't know where to put this, but it looks interesting.

I was searching for some wireless "surround" headphones but none of the ones available at retail in the US supported "Dolby Headphone" (which seemed kind of dumb, considering that's what it's for).

So in my search I came upon this PR:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...667814,00.html

Audiocubes already seems to cary the import version of the Pioneer SE-DIR800C for $385.
http://www.audiocubes.com/product_in...efe0355ad06287

Does anyone have any experience with wireless "surround" headphones? The older Pioneer SE-DIR1000C have received excellent reviews. I am tempted to purchase the import 800C.

·
Registered
12,365 Posts
The 800c is cuter, but I do not find the sound of the headphones to my taste. They are more midrangy than the 1000's. I have yet to do some serious listening to the new Philips units introduced at CES. You can see a picture of it at http://www.dolby.com/Consumer/Person...ound/Products/

·
Registered
18,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The dynamic range of the 800's phones are a bit less, 12-22,000 as opposed to the 1000's 10-24,000, but they're almost half the weight. Also, it appears the 800's encoder/transmitter is much improved over the 1000's. People are saying it handles LFE much better.
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=55892

I've been waiting a few years since Dolby Headphone came out for wireless headphones to arrive in the US, and so far, nada. When are the Philips wireless supposed to hit retail?

There is a potentially huge market for this. I'm an apartment dweller and I need something like this desperately. I invested a little money in a mid-range surround setup, but I can't really use it.

Either way, I'd like something now- not 8 months down the road.

Roger- do you think the Philips units will be better than the Pioneer (and in the same $400 price range)? I'll wait if this is the case.

·
Registered
12,365 Posts
>>Roger- do you think the Philips units will be better than the Pioneer (and in the same $400 price range)? I'll wait if this is the case.

·
Registered
18,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
According to the head-fi forums, the Philips have been delayed almost 6mos already.

I might just go for the 800s.

·
Registered
12,365 Posts
The fact that samples and demo units are being shipped, and apparently orders being taken by European internet sales sites in UK and Germany, suggests the production is under way. But could not see any info about them shipping to the US thus far.

·
Registered
18,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't do this to me! OK, I might as well wait a bit longer I guess.

The Pioneer PR says the 800s will hit retail in May, so I'll add another months to that. If the MSRP is $475, that usually means a ~$350 street price (Pioneer is heavily discounted).

At any rate, it appears the folks on Head-Fi are headphone nuts and will pay any price to get a new product, so they'll have the Philips headphones as soon as they're released.

·
Registered
18,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, the AW791. I've tried them. They're pretty crappy. Lots of inteference and the "surround" effect isn't that good. Maybe Roger can comment on how Dolby is used here, but I'm certain it's not Dolby Headphone.

I've seen them go for ~$60.

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
So far, the problem with all of these is they won't accept the 5.1 analog inputs from multichannel DVD-A or SACD.

I've been looking at the press info and asking questions about the new Sherwood Newcastle pre/pro and receiver. Retail price is $1500 for the pre/pro and $2000 for the receiver but they should street for less. Both have the ability to digitize the 5.1 analog inputs, apply DPL2x if necessary for stereo signals, and play the whole works through Dolby Headphone. They can do the same with the digital inputs. There aren't that many boxes out there that can do all that and none in that price range.

http://www.sherwoodusa.com/prod_p965.html
http://www.sherwoodusa.com/prod_r965.html

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I'll be interested to hear how you do with the Sony's. Their past models have had a bad reputation of screwing up the sound fields relying on Sony's virtual surround system rather than Dolby Headphone technology which was much better. These say its "Virtual Dolby Surround Certified" which I would want to make sure actually meant Dolby Headphone before i bought.

If it uses Dobly Headphone technology as opposed to Sony's version, there's probably not much to worry about. Though I doubt the quality of the cans themselves (or probably the amp) will be the match of the $400 Pioneers. Since you can't return them, I felt safer going with the highly touted Pioneers, but I'll be interested in your review.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by catapult
So far, the problem with all of these is they won't accept the 5.1 analog inputs from multichannel DVD-A or SACD.

I've been looking at the press info and asking questions about the new Sherwood Newcastle pre/pro and receiver. Retail price is $1500 for the pre/pro and $2000 for the receiver but they should street for less. Both have the ability to digitize the 5.1 analog inputs, apply DPL2x if necessary for stereo signals, and play the whole works through Dolby Headphone. They can do the same with the digital inputs. There aren't that many boxes out there that can do all that and none in that price range.
The HarmanKardon AVR 430 and AVR 630 both have Dolby Headphone, check around but both are available for

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Slightly OT (at least compared to audio quality):

Has anyone tested either their 800 or 1000 setup with a Plasma display? I previously had Sony MDR DS5100 headphone setup (not good...but I needed wireless, and the surround was...uh...nevermind) that I sold because they were completely inoperable with my Panasonic 42" plasma display.

I've heard "rumors" that the pioneer phones/base unit have less of a problem with the interference put out by a plasma display, but before I plunk down the cash, I figured I'd ask =D

Cheers,

Rich

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
If the Sony's were RF based, I could see where interference would be an issue. The Pioneers use infrared where I don't think interference is a factor at all. Not to mention the sound is so much cleaner - I couldn't tell the difference between wired and my Pioneer 1000s.

·
Registered
18,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Apparently the Sony's (at least the new MDR-DS3000) use IR, and still have problems with Plasma.

Translated from BabelFish:
Quote:
There are times which receive infrared ray transmission disturbance with the light from plasma display, cannot use

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Plasmas are notorious for flooding the room with random light spectrum, including IR. There are long discussions on how plamsas disrupt IR distribution systems (Xantech), and they even sell "plasma-proof" ir receivers to thwart the problem. The problem is similar to the problem of CFL lights, but worse.

My sony setup was horribly plagued by the IR interference...

Rich

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Roger Dressler
The 800c is cuter, but I do not find the sound of the headphones to my taste. They are more midrangy than the 1000's. I have yet to do some serious listening to the new Philips units introduced at CES. You can see a picture of it at http://www.dolby.com/Consumer/Person...ound/Products/
Roger,

I'm looking at the Pioneer SE-XB1/SE-DIR1000C and the Sony MDR-DS8000 (even though I know the Sony's are not true Dolby). I know you've listened to the former but how about the latter? Either better than the other? By the way, do you know if there is a real difference between the 2 previously mentioned Pioneer models?

Thanks in advance for any and all info you can provide.

Jeff

·
Registered
12,365 Posts
Jeff,

Yes, we have a set of the MDR-DS8000's -- we were interested to hear the headtracking and the added EX mode. It is my feeling that neither feature adds materially to the end result. The Pioneer units still provide a more convincing EX effect, among its other attributes.

I have not heard the XB1 version, so cannot confirm their alleged bass increase over the 1000's. It is the case that the very first batch of 1000's had weaker bass, and all later units had that revised. So one possiblility is that since the XB1's came out a little later, they were thought to have more bass. Maybe someone at www.head-fi.com has determined the actual case.

1 - 20 of 174 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.