AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to send HDTV from a cablevision DVR, located in a bedroom, to a 52" plasma TV located in the living room. The individual who is looking to do this is not willing to run any wires anywhere, so everything has to be done wirelessly. The solution also has to be self contained and not require a computer.

I saw a unit that would do this for standard definition tv in Best Buy. It is called TV Anywhere (don't recall the manufacturer), but it is not suitable for high definition (no component video or HDMI). It includes an RF remote setup, so the DVR could be a distance away in another room and still be controlled. She does NOT need to watch two channels at once, she just needs to send the signal to another room. TV Anywhere costs just $100. I am willing to spend more than that to solve this problem.

Right now, the plasma tv has just a single coax cable behind the wall mounted tv. She is not willing to have any additional equipment whatoever visible anywhere in her living room, and we are prohibited from running additional wires. However, if the existing coax could be utilized to transmit the signal, wireless would not be needed. (Thus far she watches cable TV and gets the over the air channels in HDTV, but cannot watch recorded DVR content or HD cable channels.)

The parameters I have stated are totally absolute - no additional visible equipment, and no additional wires can be run. These requirements are not discussable and not negotiable. I am serious about this.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Just the other day I saw what I think you need. It was on the avsforum front page, from the CES show. Two units that were supposedly small enough to fit behind an LCD and transmit and receive HDTV signal via wifi. I looked but they are gone. Is there an archive of past front pages, say going back at least two weeks?

Mike

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
There has been much talk of such items being available "soon" but don't know of any actually shipping. Belkin shows such a wireless device for $1500 (Flywire), for example, but it's still listed as "preorder". They also show an HDMI over Coax device for $799 but it's also "preorder".

One option you might consider, although it doesn't strictly fit your no wire criteria, is to use a fiber optic system such as from Owlink. It uses a small, fishline type optical fiber which can be run along a baseboard and, nearly invisibly, up a wall.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Sounds like a pickle.

This issue/request comes up quite a bit. The solutions are expensive ($500-$1500+) for the most part and involve typically smallish receiver boxes at the TV.

FWIW, the TV Anywhere type stuff is total junk.

Gefen is soon to release an HDMI-over-coax extender solution, the EXT-HDMI-COAX, for $800:

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=5303

Gefen's wireless HDMI solution, the EXT-WHDMI, lists for $1000 and is claimed to be good up to 30':

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/dproduct.jsp?prod_id=4318

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I found it, but it is not wifi, but through the homes electrical wiring. It is the Acoustic Research HDP100 HD Powerlink. May be small enough to mount to the back of the televison.

Not sure if this will work in your application, but here it is and a link to the CES review.

http://www.gadgetell.com/tech/commen...er-powerlines/

Mike

On Edit: This is available on Amazon for around $320. One good review, one bad review. Does not sound very promising as it is designed to be used in the same room. And more than likely the same circuit.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by localnet /forum/post/15580617

I found it, but it is not wifi, but through the homes electrical wiring. It is the Acoustic Research HDP100 HD Powerlink. May be small enough to mount to the back of the televison.

Not sure if this will work in your application, but here it is and a link to the CES review.

http://www.gadgetell.com/tech/commen...er-powerlines/

Mike

On Edit: This is available on Amazon for around $320. One good review, one bad review. Does not sound very promising as it is designed to be used in the same room. And more than likely the same circuit.

This might be a solution. It requires (a) no additional wires, and (b) no additional VISIBLE equipment. I could order a second cablevision dvr and place it in the living room behind (or under) the couch. There is probably an electrical outlet in that location.

I have a few Netgear XE102 Powerline Adapters laying around. I could use them to pre-test the installation. Plus, Amazon, has a decent return policy if this option doesn't solve the problem.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
This isn't exactly what the OP is asking for as far as content goes, but it is related I think. And it is something I have been wondering about and puzzled by.

AppleTV

I download HDTV shows in iTunes and then wirelessly stream the shows in HD to my AppleTV box (~$250) over my 802.11g home network where they are basically flawlessly displayed on my HDTV.

It is possible to move the shows to the AppleTV, but that's not what I'm doing. I'm streaming them.

I don't know bandwidth needs or capabilities, but this just blows me away. However it works, it surely is pointing out that relatively inexpensive equipment over modest network bandwidth can produce a very acceptable HD program viewing experience. More than acceptable, actually. I can't tell the difference between these programs and the same programs recorded by my DVR.

The content isn't what he wants, but the method of moving HD quality prorgamming would seem to be able to work for anything.

I don't have surround sound, and none of the programs I've downloaded so far have 5.1. So I can't say if the streaming includes surround capability or not.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgarrison /forum/post/15591239

This isn't exactly what the OP is asking for as far as content goes, but it is related I think. And it is something I have been wondering about and puzzled by.

AppleTV

I download HDTV shows in iTunes and then wirelessly stream the shows in HD to my AppleTV box (~$250) over my 802.11g home network where they are basically flawlessly displayed on my HDTV.

It is possible to move the shows to the AppleTV, but that's not what I'm doing. I'm streaming them.

I don't know bandwidth needs or capabilities, but this just blows me away. However it works, it surely is pointing out that relatively inexpensive equipment over modest network bandwidth can produce a very acceptable HD program viewing experience. More than acceptable, actually. I can't tell the difference between these programs and the same programs recorded by my DVR.

The content isn't what he wants, but the method of moving HD quality prorgamming would seem to be able to work for anything.

I don't have surround sound, and none of the programs I've downloaded so far have 5.1. So I can't say if the streaming includes surround capability or not.

Actually, I loaned her an Apple TV. She doesn't like it because it is another physical piece of equipment to disturb her carefully laid-out living room. If she is to keep the Apple TV, it would have to be squeezed behind the wall-mounted TV, which is possible, but I would also have to provide better remote control because we would not have line-of-sight.

To get back to the original question, she needs to view all the cable box channals (including many HDTV channels) and DVR recorded content. She already has all that stuff and is paying for it...but the DVR is physically located in a bedroom and she wants to watch in the living room. Apple TV will not help with that issue.

Just as an aside, I am going to retrieve the Apple TV and install Boxee in it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts