AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in getting wireless headphones for casual TV listening at night so I don't wake up other family members. My hearing is not the best (too much loud music when I was younger), IOW I'll never fully appreciate the better headphones. Is there anything half-way reasonable in quality for about $50?

·
Registered
386 Posts

I have the Sennheiser RS120s for this purpose and find the sound quite good for mostly normal tv watching (dialogue more so than explosions).  They are open back phones so there is some sound leakage. If you need absolute quiet then look for a complete over the ear closed design. I'm not sure what else would be around $50 but I suggest checking Amazon for deals.  You won't get high quality for that price but there are likely deals on basic good brands like Sennheiser or Sony.  Pay more attention to design and your needs.  I found that there are many good corded headphones available for under $100 if you have the option of using an extender cable.  

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zcars  /t/1526025/wireless-headphones-for-tv-advice#post_24578312

I have the Sennheiser RS120s for this purpose and find the sound quite good for mostly normal tv watching (dialogue more so than explosions).  They are open back phones so there is some sound leakage. If you need absolute quiet then look for a complete over the ear closed design. I'm not sure what else would be around $50 but I suggest checking Amazon for deals.  You won't get high quality for that price but there are likely deals on basic good brands like Sennheiser or Sony.  Pay more attention to design and your needs.  I found that there are many good corded headphones available for under $100 if you have the option of using an extender cable.  

Thanks for the reply. IIRC Fry's had the RS120 on sale. Some of the reviews had comments about hiss and/or static, so I didn't buy them. I probably should have & made that determination myself. Currently I'm using a corded Sony headphone which sounds OK to me. The only drawback is when I get up to get drinks/snacks is finding a place to set them. I guess I need a hook on the side of my recliner.
There's no real need for wireless, it would just be a small convenience.

·
Registered
386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99  /t/1526025/wireless-headphones-for-tv-advice#post_24580848

Thanks for the reply. IIRC Fry's had the RS120 on sale. Some of the reviews had comments about hiss and/or static, so I didn't buy them. I probably should have & made that determination myself. Currently I'm using a corded Sony headphone which sounds OK to me. The only drawback is when I get up to get drinks/snacks is finding a place to set them. I guess I need a hook on the side of my recliner.
There's no real need for wireless, it would just be a small convenience.
Yes, I do notice the hiss at times and they are very finicky to position right, but I just sit in bed about 10 ft from the transmitter and manage to get clear sound.  My impression is that to get better quality than your wired phones you will need to go to something closer to $150+, like the RS160. A lot for convenience perhaps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts