AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I would like to transmit from my Yamaha RX-V2000 HMDI Output (#2) to a different TV, about 30 feet away.

Having searched the web and the forum, I see more complex solutions involving connecting to wifi network, or a router, but I would like a simpler solution.

Optimally, I could have a dongle on the Yamaha that plugs into HDMI2 and a receiving dongle on the TV (or direct reception to a wifi-enabled TV).

This seems like it should be a simple task, but can't find anything to do it.

As usual, any assistance would be greatly appreciated - this is a high-priority 'Wife' project! ;)

·
Registered
7,255 Posts
There are HDMI transmitter/receivers on Amazon. They are a couple hundred bucks.

HDMI operates above 3Gbs. Your wifi is FAR lower than that. So, you can't use wifi for HDMI. You need a point-to-point wireless solution. They are pricey, and they can be glitchy.

But, the better reviewed ones on Amazon are more likely to be up to the task at hand.

Buy accordingly.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
And be careful trying to use the HDMI #2 output from your AVR for this purpose. Getting any audio on the HDMI output from the AVR will likely require your sources to be set to 2-channel stereo output (not 5.1 surround) depending on the capabilities of the wireless transmitter and/or the TV in the other room.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

AV: I had seen an IO Gear GW3DHDKIT on Amazon, but thought there may be a lower footprint option. It seems to get good reviews.

jautor: thanks, I only need TV speakers (2-CH stereo) as this TV is in a workout room.

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
jautor: thanks, I only need TV speakers (2-CH stereo) as this TV is in a workout room.
No, you misunderstand the impact this will have. If you want to connect a TV with 2-channel stereo (built-in speakers), you will ONLY get 2-channel stereo from those sources in your main room as well. Each HDMI-connected source device (BD player, set-top box, etc.) can only output one audio format at a time, and they will automatically choose the one that is compatible with all connected display devices - which will likely mean 2-channel PCM stereo.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Each HDMI-connected source device (BD player, set-top box, etc.) can only output one audio format at a time, and they will automatically choose the one that is compatible with all connected display devices - which will likely mean 2-channel PCM stereo.
Thanks for this clarification. What if I only plan on using one output at a time (not both concurrently) will HDMI1 be limited to 2-CH Stereo?

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Thanks for this clarification. What if I only plan on using one output at a time (not both concurrently) will HDMI1 be limited to 2-CH Stereo?
The wireless transmitter itself will probably trigger this limitation. You'd likely have to unplug it and possibly reboot the source(s) to get DD5.1 turned back on...

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Ok - thanks. That is very surprising that the HMDI2 output would limit HMDI1 output.
It's the SOURCE device, not the AVR. The source can only output one audio format at a time (same for video for that matter - a display that's only 720p-capable will also cause this type of issue). When two or more displays are connected to the source - directly or through an AVR - the source figures out what format is supported by all of the displays and sends that "common denominator".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts