AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure exactly if this is the correct forum category but figured I would start here. I am looking to set up a basic multi room system, where my main goal is ease of use for my wife, and full control from my iphone. I am looking for a small but good sounding speaker for a living room and an amp for outdoor speakers. Currently I am looking at 3 options:

SONOS -- 2 SONOS play:1 and a SONOS connect AMP
Airplay -- B and W Z2, or A5, and a Denon AVR-X1100W
PlayFi -- Definitive technologies W7 and W amp

I have two main goals, Pandora, and airplay (for SONOS and playfi would connect a apple tv). While the true airplay system is the cheapest, and probably the easiest, I don't like the fact that I can't play music without a phone being engaged, for instance if I want to play pandora and use my phone for something else.

So I am looking for anyone who has compared playfi vs sonos. So far what I have found is the the W7 blows away the SONOS in terms of audio quality but the playfi interface still has some kinks to works out. Has anyone played around with play and have any feedback? For me the big pluses are the W amp has optical and analog inputs, and the fact it isn't a closed system make me feel it might be more flexible in the future, but my big question is whether is ready now if now more features get added.

And if this has already been asked just let me know, I haven't been able to find much on playfi

thanks,
Andy

·
Registered
900 Posts
I have a Sonos Connect connected via optical to my receiver and via RCA to my multi zone amp for 7 audio zones on the first floor of my house. I looked at DTS Play Fi but the music service choices seem to be lacking when compared with Sonos. I recently subscribed to Deezer Elite and the audio quality blows Pandora away.

·
Registered
8,940 Posts
Sonos. I have never even thought to look at another distributed audio system. That should be a clue as to how good it is, or at least how good I think it is :).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess it sounds like not that many people have played with playfi yet so I think for ease I am going to go with the proven Sonos.

Thanks
Andy

·
Registered
115 Posts
I guess it sounds like not that many people have played with playfi yet so I think for ease I am going to go with the proven Sonos.

Thanks
Andy
I have some 'lower priced' play-fi equipment. Mainly, Polk Omni A1 & P1 and four Phorus PS1 speakers. BUT, i have no experience with any other wireless distribution setups.

The Play-Fi setup works PERFECTLY for me. I can control it through my cell phone, playing specific music services (Pandora is the one i use the most). With Windows 10, ANY music you play while the app is on, you can direct to speakers. I also have the Polk Omni A1 connected to my projectors audio out(2.5 minijack), so i have a 2.1 setup with that, also the Phorus PS1's have Bluetooth (and i believe are compatible with AirPlay)so, can connect to them individually through that.

Let me point out, I bought the 'entry level' stuff, the Definitive Technology stuff you are thinking of buying are going to give you MUCH better quality!

If you have any questions, please let me know.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I haven't used Sonos but from what I read from others, they have the edge for streaming options and the app functionality.

I wanted a couple of wireless speakers and chose the W7 and a W9 from Definitive. Convenient, sounds decent. A bit expensive especially when you can put together a 2channel bookshelf system that will kill them in performance, but a good option for convenience. I will say the W9 can get very loud. Bass response is pretty good I suppose. I miss the imaging of a pair of speakers, but you do have the option to pair two playfi speakers in stereo. I haven't done that, because I have a w7 and w9 in different rooms. I think the W7 actually has a better sound (not as full I suppose as the W9, not as much bass, but the W7 has a lighter more pleasant sound character) and would pair two of those in stereo rather than buy another W9.

There are some decent options with playfi, various steaming services and of course local library. More than I need. The definitive app works fine for me, but I understand the Sonos app is much better. Haven't tried it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts