AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out how to get music wirelessly to the bedroom. Here's my current setup: wdtv live media player and attached 1TB USB hard drive in the living room. The only pc I own , in the den. I send new music wirelessly to the USB drive thru my ATT gateway router modem to a DLink 802.11n wireless bridge, sitting next to the wdtv live in the living room. Wireless music playback in the den is flawless , with no discernable loss in sound quality.

My iphone has a cool app called 'remote' that will let you control iTunes with it. My thought was to use this as a bedroom music controller...I have a charger mounted on my nightstand and have tested the app at my pc and it works great. The downside , is having to use iTunes...I MUCH prefer windows media player for the SRS effect I'm addicted to, or even Winamp....the other thing I'm trying to figure out, if I settle on using iTunes, is how to stream the music on the USB drive to a stereo pair of wireless speakers to be mounted on either side of the bed's headboard or perhaps in the ceiling....Obviously, this seems to necessitate keeping the den's pc running 24/7 , with iTunes open to make thing convenient, but is there any other alternative? Would installing iTunes on the USB drive in the living room and keeping it open and the wdtv live media player and USB drive on 24/7 (as I do) work? I would think it would depend on if the wdtv live media player could control the iTunes software , which now that I think about it, I'm sure it couldn't....

Maybe there are other iphone apps that will allow control of your music library? The more I think about it, the more it seems the WDTV live would need an iphone app to control it I suppose...Then the other thing to figure out, is how to send the music digitally to the speakers...maybe an apple airport in the bedroom, then out to the speakers via a transmitter of some sort. (I'd like to avoid ALL cabling if possible)....I'm just rambling ,but if anyone has ideas, I'd sure like to hear them. Thanks.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Apple Remote app on iPhone

controlling iTunes

streaming to Airport Express

connecting via toslink (optical) or stereo to

amplifier hooked up to

bedroom speakers.

That's about as wireless as you can get.

What on earth are you using for speakers & amp in the LR that you depend upon WMP's effects processing?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by petern /forum/post/18268187

Apple Remote app on iPhone

controlling iTunes

streaming to Airport Express

connecting via toslink (optical) or stereo to

amplifier hooked up to

bedroom speakers.

That's about as wireless as you can get.

What on earth are you using for speakers & amp in the LR that you depend upon WMP's effects processing?

I don't depend on it per se, and it's only used in the den on my pc...NOT from my media player in the LR, I just like the beefier lows at low volume and the slight stereo spread it gives the sound with my Sony MDR-7506 headphones or thru my Yorkville YSm-1 studio monitors....I also like windows media players library feature, quick search, and general look and layout better, but as I just thought of, that stuff won't matter, since the iphones interface will be all that's needed, and it seems up to the task (full transport controls, playlists, album/artists listings,etc,etc,etc). Plus it seems to respond very quickly , which is great.

I think I may have found a speaker solution... http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Rocketfi...eless speakers .....

the problem however, remains that in addition to having to leave the media player in the LR , with it's attached USB drive full of my music on 24/7...I will obviously also have to leave the pc on 24/7 to access iTunes!...It's sort of a convoluted thing...I could always go turn everything on every time I wanted to hear music, but what a drag when your in bed and wanna hear tunes without getting up! I wonder if I could or should replace the USB drive with a NAS drive, that would let me load iTunes on it, along with all my music , connect that to the WDTV live , which in turn is connected to wireless n bridge and stream to an apple airport in the bedroom, then to those speakers...hmmm....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts