AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a lot of the post concerning wireless networking and they all seem to concentrate on bridging so that streaming between 2 Replaytv units would be flawless. My question's a bit more basic and I haven't really seen it answered here. I've only got one Replaytv and my tv is in an area where I can't run CAT5 to it. I really only need the Replaytv to connect up to my network for two reasons. One to call home to the mothership. Two to move shows over to my pc if the Replaytv becomes too full. Soon that won't matter because I'm going to upgrade to a 300gig drive. Anyway I'm really just looking for some confirmation that I can a linksys WET11 to the Replaytv and a linksys WAP11 to my router and pretty much be good to go. I think I will be but I'm wondering if anyone out there can confirm this and if you guys think I'll have any problems.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The Linksys equipment should do all you are looking for. I have a WET11 connected to my 5040 in the front room which connects wirelessly to a Linksys WRT54g wireless router. It works very well for the nightly update, sending shows via IVS, transferring shows to my PC, and streaming Standard or Medium quality shows to/from my other ReplayTVs.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I had been successfully using a WAP11 and the WET11 for several months, but was looking forward to the new "G" standard being released. Last summer when the new "G" equipment became available I sold my router, WAP11, and WET11 and bought a WRT54G router and WET54G. The WRT54G worked fine but the WET54G bridge performed terrible! It would not stream even Standard quality shows and would often cause the ReplayTV to reboot. A new firmware version was no help so I sold the WET54G bridge and bought another WET11.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by corgi1
The Linksys equipment should do all you are looking for. I have a WET11 connected to my 5040 in the front room which connects wirelessly to a Linksys WRT54g wireless router. It works very well for the nightly update, sending shows via IVS, transferring shows to my PC, and streaming Standard or Medium quality shows to/from my other ReplayTVs.
The Buffalo equipment should do all you are looking for. I have a WBR-G54 connected to my 5040 in the front room which connects wirelessly to a Buffalo WBR-G54 wireless router. It works very well for the nightly update, sending shows via IVS, transferring shows to my MAC, and streaming Standard or Medium or HIGH quality shows to/from my other ReplayTVs.

:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Running WET11 and WRT54G. Other items that share the network are a Linksys USB 54G , a linksys 54G PC card,a D-Link 11B CF Card, and...I Linksys print server.

Everything has functioned flawlessly except I have been unable to configure a streaming MPEG2 player with DVArchive.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jwtseng
The Buffalo equipment should do all you are looking for. I have a WBR-G54 connected to my 5040 in the front room which connects wirelessly to a Buffalo WBR-G54 wireless router. It works very well for the nightly update, sending shows via IVS, transferring shows to my MAC, and streaming Standard or Medium or HIGH quality shows to/from my other ReplayTVs.

:D
jwtseng: How far apart and how many walls separate your WBR-G54s?

·
Registered
697 Posts
My main router is in an upstairs office on one end of the house. The other bridges are all directly opposite on the other end of the house both upstairs and downstairs. I would say they are about 30-40 feet apart from the main router in addition to the upstairs-to-downstairs vertical distance.

In terms of walls...there are probably 3 or 4 walls separating the bridges to the router. I think many people on the Buffalo thread would agree that these units have pretty decent range. In fact one of the recent firmware updates increased the power output from 22mW to 30mW or so.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.