AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a Fujitsu the other day, and I put Win98 on it and I upgraded the ram to 48meg (that's the max, correct? or can it handle 64?) Anyway, we set up a wireless network here not too long ago. I got a D-Link DWL-650 PCMCIA card. I installed the drivers, and whenever it booted up and tried to run the config util to initialize the card I would get the blue screen of death. The person I bought it from said that he got a Linksys WPC11 so I went out and got one of those. I installed the drivers, and the same result, blue screen of death when trying to initialize the card. Anyone have any idea what's going on? Suggestions of cards? I'd really like to get the D-Link working if I can. Thanks!

Dizzy

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'm using the Netgear MA-410 wireless card in my 510 with no issues. I had to get the Win95 drivers from the website, but once I installed them, it worked great.

You mentioned that you installed 98 on your 510. I wanted to do the same but was a bit afraid to try. Evidently, the Win95 CD is installed on my 510 but in a drive partition I can't see. I wanted to put the Win98 cd there, but I can't seem to locate the 95 data. Can you give me a high-level overview of your Win98 install?

Good luck with your wireless networking issues. I have read that others may have had issues with the D-Link card. Try this thread for more places to look. You may need to consider other cards. I got mine from NewEgg cheap and it works well. As a matter of fact, I'm typing this reply via a NetGear wireless card in my laptop now!

Jeff

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First, I bought an adapter similar to this

Then I took out the drive, and put it in my desktop on the secondary ide channel as master. On primary I had WinXP and a CD-Rom. I then booted from a Win98 cd, and fdisked and formated the drive (one whole drive, not broken up). Fdisk I think is in \ ools\\ and format is in \\win98\\ or vice versa. I then booted to xp, and I created a \\windows\\cabs dir on the Point510 drive and copied all the win98 cabs to it. I also made a \\drivers\\ folder and copied over anything else I might need.

I then shut the computer down, switched the cables, so I then had the point510 drive as primary master, and cd-rom as slave (xp drive disconnected), and I booted to win98 cd again. I went to the point510 drive (c: drive) and then went to \\windows\\cabs\\ and ran setup. I let it do everything until the point where it needed to reboot, at that time I took the drive out and put it back in the 510, rebooted and it came up fine.

This worked for me :) Took me a while to get there because I was unable to boot to the poin510 drive no matter what I did to put system files on it. Any questions lemme know.

Thanks for the help on the wireless cards.

Dizzy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.