AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(originally posted in Distribution and Networking)

This seems like a simple need, but I haven't found any solutions:

I currently have the following wired configuration:

I connect my PC audio to my home home theater system (standard PC audio out to left and right channel in on home theater) and my PC video out to the HDMI in on my HD TV (through a secondary DVI output on my video card using a DVI-to-HDMI cable). Works like a charm.

I'm moving and the PC is now going to be on a different floor, so I want to emulate that config wirelessly. Seems easier said than done, though...

There are media servers, but I don't want to get into specifying file types, etc. For one reason, I want to stream online media (through Netflix, Amazon, and whatever may come up in the future, etc.). For another, I like the idea of having access to my 'full PC' from a distance (w/ a long range wireless keyboard). All I really need is (conceptually) to wirelessly use my home theater in place of my PC speakers and my TV in place of my monitor. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Somehow I can't believe that in a world with SlingBox, media servers, etc. this (seemingly) simpler need is not filled somehow...

Thanks,

Lorin

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you for stating that so clearly. I've also been trying to do this seemingly simple task and all I can find is an endless stream of confusion. If someone made this simple device, I'd buy it. I don't need another computer, just access to the one up stairs.

·
Registered
70 Posts
You could just use a video sender (DigiSender) + bluetooth keyboard/mouse ?

The problem is that it would only be composite (not component) video and 2 channel sound being transmitted.

The problems I found with this solution are ...

If someone uses a microwave it interferes with the picture as its 2.4ghz

The picture from your PC is being transmitted which means anyone else with a receiver can see what you are doing.

The only other thing I can think of is to use a Netgear EVA8000 as this has RDP (remote desktop) which will let you see your PC desktop. There is no keyboard for this yet but I think they are working on one. Sorry I havent seen this solution in action.

·
Registered
451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezl /forum/post/0

(originally posted in Distribution and Networking)

This seems like a simple need, but I haven't found any solutions:

I currently have the following wired configuration:

I connect my PC audio to my home home theater system (standard PC audio out to left and right channel in on home theater) and my PC video out to the HDMI in on my HD TV (through a secondary DVI output on my video card using a DVI-to-HDMI cable). Works like a charm.

I'm moving and the PC is now going to be on a different floor, so I want to emulate that config wirelessly. Seems easier said than done, though...

There are media servers, but I don't want to get into specifying file types, etc. For one reason, I want to stream online media (through Netflix, Amazon, and whatever may come up in the future, etc.). For another, I like the idea of having access to my 'full PC' from a distance (w/ a long range wireless keyboard). All I really need is (conceptually) to wirelessly use my home theater in place of my PC speakers and my TV in place of my monitor. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Somehow I can't believe that in a world with SlingBox, media servers, etc. this (seemingly) simpler need is not filled somehow...

Thanks,

Lorin

What you describe is a HTPC (Home theater PC). Why do you have to seperate the PC from the TV? Just leave it with the TV.

Networked media players are the device you are looking for...they take the audio/video you want to view on your TV, whether it gets it wirelessly or wired and provide the required decoding (this requires some sort of processor and memory) and connections to pump it into your TV. Yes they have limitations and if you think about it, it is understandable why they are limited....they are NOT computers!

When you stream data or video or music it has to be recieved, decoded and sent through the proper connections in order to be viewable on your TV. This is either done by an HTPC or by a networked media player...make a choice and go for it!

Either find a networked media player that suits your needs or purchase/build a small foot print HTPC.

IMO you should forget about wirelessly streaming video, especially high bitrate stufff. Either go wired or leave your HTPC at your TV's side. Not only do microwaves interfer but cordless phones, walls, weather, distance and so on. Not a robust solution.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There in lies the rub, I don't need another computer; nor does the money for one fall high on my list of priorities. Media servers I have found are worthless for what I want to do. I'd like to stream content from the internet, mainly video. Audio is easy, but lets say you want to sit down and stream a video from Netflix, can't do it. Watching videos from Movielink, forget it. Or watch a video clip from your favorite web site, no chance. Media servers, or the one I have; Buffalo Linktheater, Can't do these things. There is a lot of good programing available on the net that I would like to sit down with my family and watch. My computer can do these things, but it's upstairs in the office were it is needed during the day for other tasks. Here is the device I am thinking of; It has two parts. One part has inputs and outputs for keyboard, monitor, and audio. It is connected to the computer through these. It is connected to to the second part via a coaxial cable. The second part has outputs for keyboard, monitor and audio. This way at night when I am downstairs I can just open my browser, go to netflix, and hit play. And have control over the playback of the video. All I can do with my streamer is play it; no pause, no rewind. And the playback. yikes!!!! it couldn"t play a movie straight through if it wanted too. If you know of such a device, please let me know. My computer is fine, I just need it to serve dual purposes at differnt times in different locations.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I dont think there is anything like that available (I have been looking for something similar for years).

However you could have a look at this ... http://www.kat5.tv/

Its similar to what you discribe in that it uses a transmitter and receiver for the video & sound. I dont think it will work over powerline adapters though as its not ethernet although it does use Cat5 cable (they use the wires in the cable to carry the signal directly).

You could use a bluetooth keyboard/mouse with this to give control over the PC or an IR keyboard/mouse as these units have an IR repeater on them.

I guess you would need TV out on your graphics card too.

·
Registered
451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstantall /forum/post/0

There in lies the rub, I don't need another computer; nor does the money for one fall high on my list of priorities. Media servers I have found are worthless for what I want to do. I'd like to stream content from the internet, mainly video. Audio is easy, but lets say you want to sit down and stream a video from Netflix, can't do it. Watching videos from Movielink, forget it. Or watch a video clip from your favorite web site, no chance. Media servers, or the one I have; Buffalo Linktheater, Can't do these things. There is a lot of good programing available on the net that I would like to sit down with my family and watch. My computer can do these things, but it's upstairs in the office were it is needed during the day for other tasks. Here is the device I am thinking of; It has two parts. One part has inputs and outputs for keyboard, monitor, and audio. It is connected to the computer through these. It is connected to to the second part via a coaxial cable. The second part has outputs for keyboard, monitor and audio. This way at night when I am downstairs I can just open my browser, go to netflix, and hit play. And have control over the playback of the video. All I can do with my streamer is play it; no pause, no rewind. And the playback. yikes!!!! it couldn"t play a movie straight through if it wanted too. If you know of such a device, please let me know. My computer is fine, I just need it to serve dual purposes at differnt times in different locations.

What you want exists only in the form of.....you guessed it your computer! Any other device that could do what you want....would be...you guessed it, a computer!

Instead of researching Networked media players it may be useful to research things like video streaming via the internet...to actually understand what it is that you are really asking for..get into the nuts and bolts of it...learn about codecs, decoding, network protocols and so on.

I mean I really want a machine that can turn lead into gold but dang it nobody seems to want to make that happen!

I do think that someday there will be more video content streamed directly to TV's via the internet....but that day is not here yet. The only way to stream video from Movielink or Netfilx is to your computer and that is because it has the power(CPU and DRAM) plus the required codecs. The movies that are downloaded from Movielink and Netflix are primarily targeted for Home Theather PC or for people who watch video on their computer monitor. These videos are also compressed and of considerably less quality in order to make the file size small enough for downloading. Once they are on your computer and you want to send them to your TV via your network...well that is another example of where some knowledge of how data is sent over a home network would help you understand why what ever you send that data to will need the same power as your computer to put it back together and display it on your TV.

Believe me I am not an HTPC fanatic...I do not own one and as you have no desire to own another PC just for video viewing on my TV...I do not want this noisy box in my living room! BUT over time I have come to realize what the current limitations are and that in the end it is all working in the direction of TVs with the power of a PC. There are already a number of Smart TVs available and more will follow. Unfortunately manufactures will be able to control what can be downloaded and viewed, control things like not being able to fast forward through a commercial, not being able to record a show and so on.

So at the moment get used to the fact that what you want is far more complicated than you think and that if you really want it...then HTPC is really the way to go. There are lots of choices there....very small form factors...super quiet fans and cases....it may be time to take a closer look at HTPC

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"The only other thing I can think of is to use a Netgear EVA8000 as this has RDP (remote desktop)..."

This seems like it could be the ticket (disclaimer: haven't done the full diligence yet). I found this site a while ago for long distance wireless keyboards: http://www.fentek-ind.com/wireless.htm . I'll do further diligence and post the result...

Edit: blah! looks like a non-starter - apparently the remote desktop isn't designed to push a lot of data so it's too slow for anything streaming (as per a CNET review ) - they suggested it might be good for Powerpoint and other static images...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rather than wireless PC-to-TV, what about a PC monitor as your TV, and a wireless connection to it? (i.e. the 30" Samsung Syncmaster 305T)

In my searching, I have only found one wireless adapters which handle the high resolution that the Samsung can handle (up to 2560x1600): the Aitech Pro PC/TV Wireless PC to TV Converter. It is supposed to display 2048x1536.

Question: The Samsung requires a dual DVI input. Does the Aitech offer this?

Drawback: 2.4GHz - interference as mentioned previously.

Thanks for your help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.