AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have 2.1 Martin Logan speakers with Denon x4100. I want to add some rear speakers but Eire is not an option. What choices do I have in terms of wireless? What adapters should I be looking at? What are the cons of wireless speakers?

Thank you in advance for your input.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Cons are sound quality for sure, but don't forget interference. Everything from ungrounded recepticals to cell phones have the potential to make themselves heard through wireless speakers.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
I currently have 2.1 Martin Logan speakers with Denon x4100. I want to add some rear speakers but Eire is not an option. What choices do I have in terms of wireless? What adapters should I be looking at? What are the cons of wireless speakers?

Thank you in advance for your input.
I can only speak for the two 5.1 systems I have in which I use "wireless" rear speakers. BTW, I put wireless in quotation marks because the only thing that's wireless is the signal transmission path between the transmitter (a separately powered box that's wired to the rear speaker output(s) on the AVR) and the receiver (a separately powered box that's wired to the actual rear speaker(s)).

Both of my systems employ the Rocketfish™ Model RF-WHTIB Universal Wireless Rear Speaker Kit (http://www.rocketfishproducts.com/products/home-theater/RF-WHTIB.html). In one system, I only need wireless access to one of the rear speakers. In the other system, the kit was originally used for both rear speakers. After moving that system into a different location, it now also only services one of the rear speakers.

Sound quality may or may not be an issue in some set-ups but it certainly hasn't been for me. It has as much to do with the quality of the AVR speaker preamps, the speakers themselves and the age of the ears that are listening as it does with the quality of the wireless kit's electronics IMO. As for interference, it's never been an issue for my systems which are each resident in households that includes multiple other wireless devices (routers, phones, tablets, PCs, etc.)

The combined usage of these two set-ups totals 7 years during which the kits have worked without any issues. No equipment failures have occurred nor has any interference ever been experienced. YMMV

1 - 4 of 4 Posts