AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find wireless transmitter/receiver kit to send audio from AVR to rear surround speakers. I use now one system from "Rocketfish" (what a weird name) and tried 3 or 4 other systems. The main problem with all of them is that receiver includes amp and does NOT have linear out. I would like to use decent dedicated amp rather than tiny one usually included in those kits. The only option I found is some products designed for subwoofers. However, this is usually 1 channels and I would need 4 of them (in additional to one I use for subwoofer already). It would be messy and I may run out of separate Freq channels.

Are there any pro quality products of that type? Thanks.

(I realize that my question is only partially related to audio distribution but I am not sure what would be the best forum for that.)

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
And there's no way to run wires to these four speaker locations? Crown molding, baseboards, anything?

The cost and hassle of a system for this (plus an outboard amp) can probably pay for a professional to come and pull those wires and patch the drywall...

Is there any cat5 jacks on that side of the room? If you're going to use an external amp anyway, getting the signal closeby using a balun (even if it goes to a central closet and back) would be a choice.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know that wired solution would be much better. And I use balun and cat 6 wire to solve similar problem in the vacation house. But there are many reasons why running wire is not feasible in the case I described. (P.S., I have Cat 6 at one side that goes to the closet but not on other). I do have spare emotiva amp that I can use, so the only cost would be trans/receiver. Thanks.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jautor, your comment led me to another thought. I have HDMI cable running from the front location (where AVR) is to the back (since I have projector here). (Do not ask why I have hdmi and do not have Cat5). This is very thick 50ft HDM (Blujeans cable). Can I add anything to use it for both HDMI and 4 channel audio? This HDMI signal would already have "original" audio but I would need another receiver (vs amp) to extract it at the back of the room and this could make room calibration impossible. I do not mind buying something that would allow to "add" linear audio generated by the main receiver to HDMI and extract it on the back end to feed the amp. (To add, I have Sony 350 on order, so I hope to use this cable for 4K video in the future, if this is matter). Thanks.

·
Registered
6,096 Posts

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
jautor, your comment led me to another thought. I have HDMI cable running from the front location (where AVR) is to the back (since I have projector here). (Do not ask why I have hdmi and do not have Cat5). This is very thick 50ft HDM (Blujeans cable). Can I add anything to use it for both HDMI and 4 channel audio?
Sure - you've got more than enough signal wires in the HDMI cable to break them out and send 4 channels of line-level audio. Get a pair of these and patch them to RCA connectors:

http://www.elabguy.com/

Jeff

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sure - you've got more than enough signal wires in the HDMI cable to break them out and send 4 channels of line-level audio. Get a pair of these and patch them to RCA connectors:

http://www.elabguy.com/

Jeff
Jeff, how would I know which Hdmi connectors are safe to use for audio without affecting video? (May be obvious question....)

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Jeff, how would I know which Hdmi connectors are safe to use for audio without affecting video? (May be obvious question....)
I'm sorry - I misunderstood your post - I thought you meant you had an "extra" / "unused" HDMI cable going to the back of the room. Sorry, back to square one... Neurorad's suggestion of the multi-channel Atlantic wireless is probably your best bet...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts