AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
I don't know if it's RF or not but the black one I bought at Best Buy is a Logitech and it came with a cool dark colored optical mouse. The mouse chews up batteries quick. The setup works OK from about 10' and closer.

·
Registered
139 Posts
IBM has one on their webpage, although it was quite expensive, it also came with a mouse and had this nice black´n´bigblue-design. Although the keypad was arranged in an odd fashion.

·
Registered
569 Posts
There are two kinds of wireless - those that get the distracting cord out of the way but are basically full size equivalents (Keytronic, Intel, Logitech) and then there are the kind for computer operation from a couch or recliner. I assume you need the couch potato kind like me if you are lurking on this board....

For that application, I haven't found an RF model that I've liked. And the only IR I've liked are made by Sejin. They make a real small one that is my favorite but only lasts about 6 months of daily use -- see http://www.sejin.com/product/SWK-8695WT.html

and a larger model that Compaq has sold as their own and can last a year or more -- see http://www.sejin.com/product/SWK-8697WT.html

The weak part is the trackball which has brass wheels that simply wear out.

They now say they soon are releasing an RF model - see http://www.sejin.com/product/SWK-8650F2T.html

Hope this has helped. You get up to 15 feet with the IR and fresh batteries. The little keyboard has three months of battery life on 2 AA's and the big one has 2 months of battery life on 8 AA's - and both have the same range! go figure. PlasMAN

·
Registered
452 Posts
ViewSonic Ultimate Desktop Wireless. RF, black and gray, full sized layout but streamlined overall size, very good range, great mouse, haven't changed the batteries yet in over 6 months of light use. $100 at CompUSA, the only place I've seen it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks everyone .. I guess its time to do some research..

Zee

ps.. this is actually for my home office .. I want a real clean look on my desk .. just got the microsoft wireless optical mouse and want to keep it wireless ... for my hometheatre I've the airboard for about 6 months now.. decent for the job but its IR ..

thanks again

·
Registered
435 Posts
I use the Gateway Destination RF Keyboard/mouse combination. In my opinion it is the best RF keyboard that I have seen for the HTPC. The mouse is separate from the keyboard and is housed in a case similar to that of a remote and can be operated with one hand without requiring a tabletop. I find this especially handy because unless you're surfing the web, 90% of your HTPC operation is mouse based, thus allowing you to hide the keyboard out of the way until you really need it. The range is pretty decent at around 20-30 ft (as tested in my condo). The battery life is also decent. I haven't measured the lifespan accurately but it seems to last at least 3 months between battery changes. I've been using this keyboard/mouse since 1996 (I was one of the early HTPC pioneers) and have been extremely happy with its operation (and kind of surprised it's lasted this long!).

Gateway doesn't sell them anymore but you can still pick them up at www.skyline-eng.com. They're a bit expensive but you'll have to make the call on that one.

Cheers

Lester

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I've been using an NEC KPQ-EA6YY-19 RF keyboard for years. It's black. The range is good, at least 20 feet. That's the farthest I've tried (about as far as I can see my RPTV). Batteries last at least 6 months. This thing is absolutely perfect for me. It looks like a standard 101 keyboard, except it's black. It has a PS2 mouse port on it but I generally connect my mouse directly to the PC to improve response time for games. I should say that there is no noticeable delay when using the keyboard. I paid about $100 for it 3 years ago. I paid about the same 1.5 years ago when I bought a spare.

Unfortunately I don't remember where I purchased it, somewhere online. If anyone's interested and can't find it, I'll look through my files and see if I can find where I got it in case they still have them.

Mark

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.