41 - 60 of 724 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcoffey /forum/post/0

Apple Airport Extreme Base Station 802.11b/g

works fine with 60 GB PS3

How did you get this to work. I have an Imac G5 with an airtunes as a base station. The PS3 located the base station, I put in the WPA key and it gets an IP address, but then fails on connection. I'm not sure how to create the proper network with the Mac. Any help would be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
64 Posts
About the Linksys WRT54GS Wireless-G Broadband Router - should I get the one with Speed Booster or it's not worth it? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by arakail3 /forum/post/0

About the Linksys WRT54GS Wireless-G Broadband Router - should I get the one with Speed Booster or it's not worth it? Thanks for any help.

Couldn't specifically tell you...no one here at AVS has posted about it. From what I read on amazon in a customer review...the speed booster doesn't help download time, it helps file transfers from PC to PC. Now please note this could all be BS and I went for the one without speedbooster because people here had specifically tried it. If you purchase it from Best Buy or someplace similar, you could likely return it if it doesn't work. I know Best Buy offered me that it the WRT54G was incompatibile.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thanks for your help Dr.

Also, I am just looking online now but plan to go in store later today - where can I tell the version, because I want to make sure I get v 6.0.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I just checked the box....it doesn't say it on there. It is listed on the bottom of the router after the model number. I'm sure if you buy one off the shelves your likely to get v 6.0 since it is the newest version - like I said best buy would have allowed me to return it if it didn't work.

·
Registered
326 Posts

Quote:

I currently have the Linksys WRT54GS V4 and my PS3 is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. as soon as I get it I'll report back and say if it works or not.

·
Registered
328 Posts

Quote:

I believe the speed booster also has better range. I'd probably go with the speedbooster if you're over 100 ft from the router.

·
Registered
64 Posts
One last question - with the new router will I have to mess around with any of that Port forwarding DMZ junk - or will I be able to configure it rather easily. Should I set up WEP or WPA as the security?

·
Registered
328 Posts

Quote:

One last question - with the new router will I have to mess around with any of that Port forwarding DMZ junk - or will I be able to configure it rather easily. Should I set up WEP or WPA as the security?

DMZ, WEP, WPA - I have absolutely no idea what it means. I installed it and i never touched any settings. Plug, restart, play - works for me.

·
Registered
630 Posts
General Question along the same lines:

Can I get a dedicated modem just for the PS3? Most modems come with an installation CD when connecting it to a PC but I'm interested in just buying another modem just for the PS3 so I don't have to run wires from across the house. Will this work without using the installation CD?

·
Registered
328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnarok /forum/post/0

General Question along the same lines:

Can I get a dedicated modem just for the PS3? Most modems come with an installation CD when connecting it to a PC but I'm interested in just buying another modem just for the PS3 so I don't have to run wires from across the house. Will this work without using the installation CD?

You can only register 1 modem per household. Atleast that's the case with Cox.

Why not just use that money on a wireless router? It cost just about the same if not cheaper. And you have have multiple devices working together.

·
Registered
630 Posts
^ Have the wireless router but I only get about 50% signal strength

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #54

Quote:

I couldn't really tell you what the ports forwarding do, check that out in the port thread. As for DMZ I enabled mine because I was following the masses. I haven't a clue what that does either. As for WEP/WPA...I would at least set up some sort of security. I'm not to keen on others looking into my PC or freeloading my $60/month internet. If they want to share the bill they can use the internet.

·
Registered
256 Posts
belkin N1 wifi router works

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have mine doing the 1.11 update now and it is working with my linksys wrt54gs v4. I actually have a 100% for my signal too. I'm timing the update so I can report back on how long the d/l was too if anyone wants to know.

41 - 60 of 724 Posts