AVS Forum banner

Wireless Router Compatibility with PS3

• Total voters
141 - 160 of 724 Posts

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
HI,

I've made some progress in trying to setup my router by assigning a static IP.

It used to fail in getting an IP and now it passes that and fails on the next step of checking the internet connection.

I think I need port forwarding or a proxy server or something but I just get dizzy with network setup. I'm sure I don't know much about it and it kind of tweaks me.

My Router is a Netgear MR814 with the latest fw,.. any tips on how to proceed?

-Brian

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
DI-624 works fine in my setup.

·
Registered
751 Posts
D-Link DI-624 Rev. C works for me also.

I'm on firmware v. 2.76 and using WEP 128 bit encryption (HEX). I had to change the authentication from Shared to Open. Other than that everything is at default settings, including SSID Broadcast enabled.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Has anyone else got the ps3 to work with the Belkin N1? I PM'd jman069 who said he did, but I never got a response. I have tried EVERYTHING, including not broadcasting my SSID. It can connect, but it just keeps disconnecting every few seconds. Anyone have this router and want to share settings (if you can get it to work of course).

Thanks!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey all, I got the WRT54GL to work, so I can confirm:

The WRT54GL works

I installed the DD-WRT Firmware in order to get the Static DHCP settings, but I believe it may be possible to get it to work with the Linksys firmware. Honestly, though, if you have this router, I don't know why you wouldn't be using a better framework like OpenWRT or DD-WRT.

After I installed DD-WRT I set my PS3's MAC to have a static IP, I set that static IP as the DMZ server and also forwarded TCP 10070-10080, UDP 10070, and UDP 6000-7000 (overkill, i'm sure). I also set up a WPA key (saw that a lot of routers don't like WEP). After all the router settings were in order, I manually configured the PS3 to have the set static IP and of course the gateway and DNS set to my router's IP, tested and then.. Success! It worked great, jumped on the web, ran a speed test on speakeasy and downloaded some demos and life was great. My PS3 and WRT54GL are in opposite sides of the floor and signal strength was only 50-57% but still great speeds and no problems.

So yeah, go ahead and throw the WRT54GL on the working list, but you might want to put up an asterisk that you *might* need to use an alternate firmware.

EDIT:

Since this post is being linked to now, see more details on my post on page 6.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am also struggling to get the PS3 working with the N1- I have had it get briefly connected and give me a message that an upgrade is necessary but by the time I navigate to the System Update it has already disconnected from the network. I just bought a Linksys WRE54G repeater/bridge to make the signal stronger and I still can't get it with WPA-PSK TKIP on, broadcasting SSSID or not- have tried statis IP, DNS and Gateway, auto MTU, uPNP off....no joy. Let me know. I plan to try it without any security to see if I can connect and get the update. I wonder if the update can be had in a download that I can burn to DVD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnew00 /forum/post/0

Has anyone else got the ps3 to work with the Belkin N1? I PM'd jman069 who said he did, but I never got a response. I have tried EVERYTHING, including not broadcasting my SSID. It can connect, but it just keeps disconnecting every few seconds. Anyone have this router and want to share settings (if you can get it to work of course).

Thanks!

·
Registered
51 Posts
After I updated to latest PS3 update (via burned CD), I was able to get connected to the Belkin N1 right away....I just can not hold the connection long enough to open a browser and get somewhere before I get "You have been disconnected from the access point" or some such.

I am running WPA-PSK/TKIP, broadcasting SSID- which I will now try turning off, have a 35% signal or higher and am setting a static IP, GW and DNS within the DHCP range of my router's network. Errrhhhhh this is frustrating.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Turning of SSID broadcast made no diff...in fact it seems less likely to get that initial connection. I also tried wireless channel 10 and 4 instead of 6 that I was on and no diff. I am set for 802.11B & G- all options with latest NI FW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwscott /forum/post/0

After I updated to latest PS3 update (via burned CD), I was able to get connected to the Belkin N1 right away....I just can not hold the connection long enough to open a browser and get somewhere before I get "You have been disconnected from the access point" or some such.

I am running WPA-PSK/TKIP, broadcasting SSID- which I will now try turning off, have a 35% signal or higher and am setting a static IP, GW and DNS within the DHCP range of my router's network. Errrhhhhh this is frustrating.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same problem with my Linksys BEFW11S4, I turned off the SSID broadcast and it worked great. However, I can't seem to connect to it through my laptop. I've clicked "set up a wireless network for home or work" and entered the SSID name, it says it's set up successfully after I get through the wizard, but I can't find it. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 2.4 and i have turned off my SSID, and when i try to connect i can Obtain a IP address but my connection times out every time. I have contacted sony and they told me it was the routers problem. So anyone know of what i can do, or a different router i should try out. Thanks Alot

·
Registered
243 Posts
After trying a Belkin N1 and a Belkin pre-N and doing all the recommendations, I could connect off and on. But during online gaming, my entire network would go down after about 20 min, and I'd have to restart my router. I read about the PS3 disabling some Linksys routers before, so I decided to forget about using the wifi built into the PS3. I returned the N1 and get a Linksys gaming bridge, and I've been gaming for hours each night ever since.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am going to purchase a new wireless router for my PS3. I see that there are several on the working list. I want to see if anyone could recommend which would be the best to purchase. My setup is about 30-40ft from my PC. I would like to know what to purchase to get the best possible performance. Your help is appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hey everyone,

I don't know if anyone needs help selecting a router but I have been using SMC routers for around 6 years and I can say they are wonderful. I have one at my house and I hooked my parents up as well. They are virtually maintenance-free. From PCs, to laptops, pocket PCs, to the PS2 and now the PS3...never had a single problem.

·
Registered
47 Posts
rosska,

for a great, cheap solution I would recommend a Linksys WRT54GL, I know its on the doesn't work list but I got mine working no problem with just a few tweaked settings (i also did install DD-WRT firmware on it, but i'm not sure if it was necessary). Amazon had them after rebate last week for $40, but it may have gone up.

B

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by brazzle /forum/post/0

rosska,

for a great, cheap solution I would recommend a Linksys WRT54GL, I know its on the doesn't work list but I got mine working no problem with just a few tweaked settings (i also did install DD-WRT firmware on it, but i'm not sure if it was necessary). Amazon had them after rebate last week for $40, but it may have gone up.

B

Does the DD-WRT really do anything great? I've been reading on it but to afraid to mess with the WRT54G when all is working well now.

·
Registered
643 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdoctor /forum/post/0

Thanks for the input - I will switch the categories. What setting did you tweak as I will post that like a did for other routers?

Second...does the DD-WRT really do anything great? I've been reading on it but to afraid to mess with the WRT54G when all is working well now.

If you have a WRT54G and want firmware that is very similar to Linksys with a few added benefits, look at HyperWrt. Thibor is what I run and its great. As long as you have a version 1-4 router your golden.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I just decided to upgrade to wireless n so I can stream hd content to my bedroom tv without using cat5 cable. I was using the Lynksys WRTG54 which is very reliable but I need more speed. Now I am probably going to ebay my wireless g gear. By the way this upgrade only cost me 115 bucks for the router and adaptor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
FMW, So which router are you going to buy that is faster? I am new to wireless routers so I dont know what firmware is and what it does. I want to spend less than $100 dollars and get the best router possible. Thanks

·
Registered
2,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdoctor /forum/post/0

The problem that some of us are experiencing is repeated connects/disconnects with about 15-30 second intervals.

According to protoboard's post - he has found a fix for the disconnect/connect issue with the linksys wireless b router by turning of the routers broadcast of the SSID information. Since then he has had no disconnects. He has made it aware to Sony as have I in a phone call today via a followup to my orginal problem. This may or may not work for other routers that have fallen into the not working category.

This has apparently fixed the problem with a netgear (b) router as well.

I have a Linksys WRE54G (wireless network booster). It has a known problem with multiple disconnects per minute from the PS3. I wasn't even able to get pass the birthday screen on the playstation network signup, forget about trying to register. I can usually count 4 to 5 disconnects per minute. I connected the PS3 through a powerline ethernet adapter and signed up for Playstation Network. I wasn't happy with the cost and performance of the powerline adapter so I took it back.

However, now that I'm signed up, I can download stuff from the store and I have noticed something. As long as I start the download prior to the disconnect, it will not disconnect during the download. I have downloaded the update to Fall of Man and the demo of Grand Turismo HD. No disconects!!!

So this begs the question, Can we come up with a background ping program to keep the PS3 active while doing other stuff? I have a computer on the network, I wonder if I ping the PS3 every 3 seconds or so will it stay connected or do I have to do it from the PS3. Anything to keep the wireless network active. Anyone got any ideas? Could be a stop gap measure or at least allow Linksys and Sony to figure out what is going on.

Tim Huey

141 - 160 of 724 Posts