AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've added a sunroom to the back of our house and would like a TV out there but there is no way to run RG-6 to it. Nor do we want to have to see the same program that is on the main set. Is there anything out there that would allow me to send a D* signal to a STB in the remote area? And, if so, will HD work or would it be SD only. Thanks in advance. BTW, I posted this over in home distribution and got nada. I'm betting you guys are a whole lot smarter!!

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
You might be able to find something that would wirelessly transmit SD from a Directv receiver located elsewhere in the house, there's nothing that can transmit the signal from your dish to your location where you want to put the TV and receiver at in your sun room.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was my intention. There are many transmitter systems available if you don't mind watching the same program that is on the main tv; the idea here is my wife wants to watch something other than football at the same time. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Honestly right now the wireless technology just isn’t there yet. There are some products out there that claim they can send wireless video signals through out a home but nothing that does it with any kind of acceptable quality. UWB (ultrawideband) looks like a promising wireless distribution technology however it will be sometime before we start seeing UWB technology in consumer products such as STB. For now you may have to run cat-5. Alternatively, you can run coax out there. Companies like Coaxsys have technology that enable you to network and distribute video through out the home using coaxial cable.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Maybe a second dish, on the wall outside the sunroom? Just a single hole behind the TV set, for one cable.

There aren't any wireless RF systems that will repeat the entire sat spectrum.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Why not add another dish receiver dedicated to your sunroom TV.

For example, put the dish rcvr in another room and try one of those 2.5Ghz wireless trans. recievers and use a RF controller to work the receiver...

maybe it might work

Mojav

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I may be missing something here, but why not try a dedicated DirecTV STB (DirecTiVo would be better) with an inexpensive (RF->IR repeating, allowing the remote room to control the source device in the "host" room.

Granted, this is only SD quality, but it actually works quite well. I can't remember if the units operate at 2 Ghz or 900 Mhz, but they do work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.