AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I currently have a Sonos system in my home with two of their PLAY speakers. I want to be able to also push that music to my home theater stereo to enjoy MY music on much higher quality speakers. The device I need for that is the SONOS CONNECT and is a few hundred $$.

It just dawned on me that maybe I could buy a small bluetooth music receiver (Best Buy has a Rocketfish model for $40)...then, I could use my Android phone to get to my SONOS system and tell it to play to "this device" (meaning my phone)...and then I could connect my phone to the Rocketfish (or whatever brand) bluetooth device that is then feeding my receiver. This would be a far less expensive method to get my music to my stereo.

My question is - will my audio quality be significantly comprimised by doing this? Will it be much worse than if I had the actual SONOS CONNECT unit?

Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My $.02, if streaming mp3 files, a BT receiver should suffice. If playing back "CD quality" resolutions, I'd suggest a "higher end" BT receiver, or another Sonos device, "if" maintaining fidelity is a concern. My thoughts on the Audioengine B1 BT receiver:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7072009-Audioengine-B1-bluetooth-receiver
Thanks for the input. We use the SONOS system to listen to our ripped CD collection, Pandora, or Spotify. Regarding the CDs, I have ripped most of our CDs and just used the standard format in iTunes. The CDs that are "mine" and that I care more about (I am the sound quality guy in the house), I have ripped with lossless format. Getting music through Pandora or Spotify is what it is.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for the input. We use the SONOS system to listen to our ripped CD collection, Pandora, or Spotify. Regarding the CDs, I have ripped most of our CDs and just used the standard format in iTunes. The CDs that are "mine" and that I care more about (I am the sound quality guy in the house), I have ripped with lossless format. Getting music through Pandora or Spotify is what it is.
I don't believe you would be able to tell the Sonos App to play on your phone. The Sonos app only controls the Sonos equipment like a remote control it does not stream music to your phone. I would but the Sonos Connect. I have one in my Theater room and it sounds amazing. There is a setting in Sonos to tell it to not compress your music as well which will help with your audio quality.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't believe you would be able to tell the Sonos App to play on your phone. The Sonos app only controls the Sonos equipment like a remote control it does not stream music to your phone. I would but the Sonos Connect. I have one in my Theater room and it sounds amazing. There is a setting in Sonos to tell it to not compress your music as well which will help with your audio quality.
THank you for your comments...You may be right...I don't know why I was thinking I could tell it to play to "this device"...hmmm. I'm interested in your comment about the setting to tell it to not compress the music...where/how do I find that?

·
Registered
571 Posts
THank you for your comments...You may be right...I don't know why I was thinking I could tell it to play to "this device"...hmmm. I'm interested in your comment about the setting to tell it to not compress the music...where/how do I find that?
If you want to play music "on the phone", just get an app that will play from DLNA server, or file share, such as NEUTRON (will also play hi-res 24/192), Bubble PNP, or Estrong's File Explorer.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Here is the information from the Sonos Website.

Your Sonos system defaults to automatic in order to provide the optimal playback experience. Sonos recommends you do not change this default. However, if you decide to make a change, we recommend the following usage guidelines:
Use Uncompressed if:
•You want optimal performance with home theaters.
•You want to produce the highest quality sound for your multi-zone Sonos system (this selection requires more network band*width than compressed audio.)
Use Compressed if:
•You are connecting more than 4 zones wirelessly.
•You are in an environment with heavy wireless interference and are experiencing dropouts.
1.From the Music menu, select System Settings.
2.Select Advanced Settings>Audio Compression.
3.Use the scroll wheel to select Automatic, Uncompressed or Compressed, and press OK.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts