AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings to all forum members (1st post) :)

It's more than 6 months now that i 've been using a wireless RF device (transmitter- receiver) to port image and sound from my PC to my television seated in my living room on another floor.

The device i'm using is from Welltech , has 4 channels ,composite video transmission and stereo analog (RCA plugs ) plus an IR channel .

So ,my question is this : is this thingy capable of transmitting SPDIF digital audio signal in 2.4 GHZ frequency and which way possible?

I already read a guy that accomplished the above with a similar device form Radioshack

Site: andrewkilpatrick.org

I understand that the datarate is big ,but I came across some new solutions (wireless 5.1 speaker system) that are already using this technology

Site: jazzspeakers.com

(sorry for not being able to post the url's .Not allowed yet :)

Any ideas?

·
Registered
925 Posts
The digital audio might need 3.2 MHz bandwidth to be sent over a wireless re-transmitter.

·
Registered
244 Posts
S/PDIF (coaxial of course) has nearly identical electrical specifications to a standard composite video signal: 0.7 Vrms (1 Vpp), 75 ohms, bandwidth of 6 MHz. This is not by coincidence. It allows manufacturers to use readily available and cheap video amps for their S/PDIF outputs, and allows standard 75 Ohm coax video cable to be used. The point is that you should be able to transfer the S/PDIF signal on the video line of the wireless transmitter. The analog audio lines will not have the bandwidth for S/PDIF, since it needs at least 6 MHz for reliable transmission, and analog audio is generally 20 kHz (0.02 MHz). So if you need both video and digital audio at the same time, you'll need two transmitter/receiver sets, one for each.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll look into the specs of the device for the additional R-L (stereo ) jacks . Is it possible that their transfer capabilities are like the composite channel or the manufacturers are making sound transportation "weak" to reduce cost?

Thx so much ...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ' ll also do the experiment : reverse audio -video connections and see if any video signal is being transferred through audio plug.Then , I think I 'll be on the safe side, no?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.