AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm an old audiophile fairly knowledgable in most areas except wireless communication for speakers. In short I am wondering if a repeater-transmitter-receiver (my bumbling term) exists for speakers to transmit low level audio from a receiver to each speaker. I think there are such devices but I'd really be interested in comments and opinions from you guys on this area of audio.

Specifically, I have a beautiful set of bookshelves in the living room that are crying out for a decent set of small speakers but the location is virtually impossible to get speaker wire to.

Any thoughts?

Thank you,

Scott

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
What you want is the Dynaudio XEO3 speakers, which have the transmitter and receivers included as an integral part of the speakers.

Dedicated Audio in Scottsdale is a Dynaudio dealer and they have them.

They are the only high-quality wireless speakers I know of.

The Boston MCC100 is a Bluetooth-connected speaker, and is under $200, but the quality is much lower, and Bluetoooth may also not work for you.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman  /t/1525492/wireless-speaker-capability#post_24559714

What you want is the Dynaudio XEO3 speakers, which have the transmitter and receivers included as an integral part of the speakers.

Dedicated Audio in Scottsdale is a Dynaudio dealer and they have them.

They are the only high-quality wireless speakers I know of.

The Boston MCC100 is a Bluetooth-connected speaker, and is under $200, but the quality is much lower, and Bluetoooth may also not work for you.

Interesting and thanks! I read some reviews. Apparently these speakers also include DACs so under certain conditions will perform the digital to analog conversion. Also found it interesting that the transmitter (located near the source) can be USB-powered so a power source is not needed. Unfortunately each speaker requires power...

I wonder if anyone on here has experience with the Dynaudio XEO3.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Scott, I believe I have a similar problem as you. Were you able to resolve yours? Here's mine:

I have an Onkyo receiver with a high level audio (speaker pair) that I would like, somehow, to transmit to wireless speakers on my enclosed patio. The Onkyo also has a USB port, but I don't know the full capabilities. It seems, what I need is a transmitter that will take the speaker level input, convert it to low level and transmit it to the wireless speakers on the patio. Do you, or anyone else on the forum have a solution? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by StolieOne  /t/1525492/wireless-speaker-capability#post_24753467

Scott, I believe I have a similar problem as you. Were you able to resolve yours? Here's mine:

I have an Onkyo receiver with a high level audio (speaker pair) that I would like, somehow, to transmit to wireless speakers on my enclosed patio. The Onkyo also has a USB port, but I don't know the full capabilities. It seems, what I need is a transmitter that will take the speaker level input, convert it to low level and transmit it to the wireless speakers on the patio. Do you, or anyone else on the forum have a solution? Thanks.

Honestly, I didn't pursue it any further for reasons that don't matter on here. But I do know there are solutions out there that work just fine. The big deal is that they all require a transmitter at the AVR (not a big deal) and a receiver at each speaker. Whether its bluetooth or 802.whatever, it still means each speaker needs power, either battery or AC. That was a big deal for me and may very well be for you on the patio.

My solution? I bought a Bose Soundlink that communicates with my wife's iPhone and loaded a bunch of songs from my iTunes to her phone. Done.

Scott

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Oakley  /t/1525492/wireless-speaker-capability#post_24559612

I am wondering if a repeater-transmitter-receiver (my bumbling term) exists for speakers to transmit low level audio from a receiver to each speaker.
Yes, and no. There are quite a few transmitters/receivers, but the signal must then be amplified at the speaker. That's a simple affair with subs that have on-board amps anyway, but not so much with passive speakers, which will each require an amp. You'll also need a receiver with line level outputs for each channel to be transmitted. Even then they're not totally wireless, you must have an AC outlet for the amp to plug into at each speaker location.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply, Scott. I just had my patio enclosed into a "sunroom" and had the contractor put AC where I want the speakers to go. I will continue to pursue the transmitter / receiver idea and I appreciate your input. Have a great Memorial Day.

Larry

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I too will be interested in all this. Will be watching the thread, and if I learn anything to share or link on the topic, I will.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by StolieOne  /t/1525492/wireless-speaker-capability#post_24755697

Thanks for the quick reply, Scott. I just had my patio enclosed into a "sunroom" and had the contractor put AC where I want the speakers to go. I will continue to pursue the transmitter / receiver idea and I appreciate your input. Have a great Memorial Day.

Larry

Oh, well heck you got it beat! Then, if it were me, I would go with the Dynaudio XEO3 speakers, no question, bookshelf size but there are many other solutions...Please keep us posted...

Scott

1 - 9 of 9 Posts