AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to stream from itunes on a macbook to my home audio system. I've seen options like the squeezebox but am trying to keep my cost down.

I've tried to research this but am surprised there is not more info as it seems like it would be something many would want to accomplish. I'm basically looking for any info that would help me do this economically but maintaining as high an audio quality as possible.

I see that Apple has the airport express that does this but is the fact that it only has a mini-plug out going to reduce sound quality?

My itunes are ripped at lossless rates. Will I be able to maintain the sound quality wirelessly?

Any suggestions and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
That mini-plug is also an optical digital output. Works fine.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the response.

Is that the "best" way to do this (or at least what you'd recommend based on my criteria)?

Is there a special digital mini plug to rca cable cord?

Thanks again...

·
Registered
16,944 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenD /forum/post/15555066

Is there a special digital mini plug to rca cable cord?

Assuming you are going to decode at your receiver, you would simply need a mini-Toslink-to-Toslink cable. Or you can use a Toslink-to-mini-Toslink adapter and a standard Toslink cable. Your receiver's DACs would do the decoding.

CABLE (there are other lengths available there, too)

ADAPTER

If you need an analog connection to the receiver, then you need to use an analog male stereo headphone to male stereo RCA Y-adapter. The digital connection would probably be preferable, though, if you have an AVR with digital inputs.

The Airport Express's output doubles as either an analog headphone out or a mini-Toslink digital output.

BTW, if you have an iPhone or iPod touch, you can use it as a remote control for your iTunes library.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I like my Airport Express too but I've had problems with dropouts. I'm only 10ft away. I just updated to iTunes 8 so I'll see if it continues.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone know what sound quality you can stream through the newer AirPort Express over wifi? I've looked everywhere to see if I can get CD quality (320kbps/44,000Khz), but I haven't found anything.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
CD quality. no problem

1 - 8 of 8 Posts