AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.

With a new A/V receiver using a 5.1 set-up, can I use the pre-amp outs for the rear channels if the front 3 channels are driven by the speaker outs?

Specifically, I'm looking to send the line-level signal wirelessly to my rear speakers.

If it matters, I'm considering purchasing the Yamaha HTR 8093.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
30,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by debridement /forum/post/19638383

Hi everyone.

With a new A/V receiver using a 5.1 set-up, can I use the pre-amp outs for the rear channels if the front 3 channels are driven by the speaker outs?

Specifically, I'm looking to send the line-level signal wirelessly to my rear speakers.

Doable.

Quote:
If it matters, I'm considering purchasing the Yamaha HTR 8093.

Thanks!!!

If it has pre-amps outs, fine.

·
Registered
190 Posts
There are wireless surround amplifiers (none of which I fully recommend) which can use the line level and the speaker level outputs. The systems I have experience with and are suitable for non-critical listening are the "Kef Wireless" and the "SoundCast Surroundcast." They are decent but limited by range, AC power required, and inferior digital speaker outputs. Really try to do wired if you can, but if you don't have a choice take a look at these two.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot for your quick responses! There is no way I can place wires in the theatre room (It's in a loft with steps leading downstairs, plus a door and a railing, and I'm only renting). Anyway...

To clarify: On a modern receiver with preamp outs, I can use both the speaker outs and preouts at the same time?

So: 1) The receiver will 'know' that I'm doing this or at least I'll be able to set this up in the settings?

2) Audio processing like time delays and volume via auto set-ups (MCACC, YPAO, etc) will still be maintained?

I have decent fronts (totems - might change to martin logans) which will be used for 2-channel music. I just want to have the surround sound effect for video games and movies. I.E. quality of sound for the rears is not a big motivating factor.

·
Registered
10,868 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by debridement /forum/post/19639398

To clarify: On a modern receiver with preamp outs, I can use both the speaker outs and preouts at the same time?

So: 1) The receiver will 'know' that I'm doing this or at least I'll be able to set this up in the settings?

2) Audio processing like time delays and volume via auto set-ups (MCACC, YPAO, etc) will still be maintained?

Yes, yes and yes. That's precisely what pre-amp outputs are for. Nothing to do, just connect the cables, the pre-amp outputs are always live with no setup required (and nothing to change, either).

Jeff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.