AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i am moving to a new house and want a system so that in my lounge i just have a tv and all the satellite and dvd players are hidden away in another room.

I believe a firm called Marmitek offer a wireless infrared repeater extender but i am not sure how this allows the tv to be connected via hdmi to the satellite box etc?

Is it possible to do this without having lots of wires everywhere?

I want ideally a wireless solution?

Is this possible?

Many thanks in advance and i apologize i am not very technical.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Marmitek-Anywhere-Coverage-Wireless

Sorry to keep updating but i have found this. I am not sure it works with 4k?

I have a 4k tv but am happy for it to work without the 4k quality until something 4k compatible comes out.

Do any of you know whether this would work on a 4k tv as in but just hd standard picture? thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
home security system

Hi i am moving to a new house and want a system so that in my lounge i just have a tv and all the satellite and dvd players are hidden away in another room.

I believe a firm called Marmitek offer a wireless infrared repeater extender but i am not sure how this allows the tv to be connected via hdmi to the satellite box etc?

Is it possible to do this without having lots of wires everywhere?

I want ideally a wireless solution?

Is this possible?

Many thanks in advance and i apologize i am not very technical.
I have been a person for 2 years and I am extremely pleased with my system. best-home-security-companiesdotcom

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not too far. About 10-20 metres.

My wall where I want the tv has a cat 5 socket. The cupboard where I want to store the equipment had the cat 5 sockets too. I'm not sure if this helps the situation.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
900 Posts

My wall where I want the tv has a cat 5 socket. The cupboard where I want to store the equipment had the cat 5 sockets too. I'm not sure if this helps the situation.

Thanks for the reply.
Wired will work better than wireless. Are the cables at least Cat5e? Are the Cat cable outlets direct point-to-point wire? Or are the separate wires terminating in a central location? If the wire is a direct point to point then you can use HDBaseT or HDMI over Cat products to achieve what you would like to do. Otherwise you will need to move all the equipment to a central location.

·
Registered
81 Posts

Thanks for the reply.
I would use a HDMI over cat6 transmitter and receiver, then just plug your HDMI connections into a HDMI auto switcher. I have had hit and miss luck with the cheapo HDMI auto switchers and HDCP issues, make sure to look at the reviews.

·
Registered
15,200 Posts
Actiontec MyWirelessTV has worked well for me in the past. Supports IR, keyboard and mouse (if a PC is in the mix too). But since you already have wires, you should definitely do that if possible instead of wireless.

EDIT: Missed the 4k part. Mine isn't 4k, but neither is my satellite box or DVD player because those don't exist yet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have attached some photos. The plug socket is where I want the tv. The cat 5 point is there. I have a closer up pic as well for that.

The cupboard where I want the hardware (sky box and dvd player) to go is the place where there are 5 seperate cat 5 points (I am guessing for the 5 tv areas in the house).

There is a box which I have added a photo of in the loft too.

I am not sure if that helps the situation?

Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Actiontec MyWirelessTV has worked well for me in the past. Supports IR, keyboard and mouse (if a PC is in the mix too). But since you already have wires, you should definitely do that if possible instead of wireless.

EDIT: Missed the 4k part. Mine isn't 4k, but neither is my satellite box or DVD player because those don't exist yet.
Good point, if you need 4k then you will have to use an HDBaseT extender over CAT6, i like these:
https://www.conferenceroomav.com/Atlona-/AT-UHD-EX-70-2PS.cfm

·
Registered
15,200 Posts
For the amount of money most of these solutions cost, you could buy a second disc player and pay for a couple of year's rent on a second satellite box. It would be much simpler too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I only have cat 5 wiring.

My motivation is not to copy the tv I am happy to have a seperate box for say the bedroom tv.

The motivation is to de clutter the room.

I have some info from the builder I'll try to attach . I'm not sure if it is readable.

Attachments

·
Registered
383 Posts
Assuming that your cat5e cable runs directly back to the location in which you would like to store your equipment, you should have no trouble accomplishing exactly what you are hoping to accomplish. Without recommending any specific brands, you will need an HDMI Switch (3x1 should work), an HDBaseT Extender with IR, and an IR repeater kit.

Your sources (Sat, DVD, etc) will plug into the HDMI Switch, the output of which will be hooked via HDMI to the transmit end of the HDBT extender. The Cat5e will carry your picture, audio, and IR between the equipment and the TV. On the TV end another HDMI will connect to the input of the TV, and the IR Receiver from your IR Kit will be placed in a convenient location, typically on the bezel of the TV.

This will collect the remote signals for each device and transmit them back to the equipment. The receiver kit will include small emitters, which will be attached to the sources and HDMI switch to control them from the TV location.

Finally, a good universal remote that can learn, or already contains, the codes for the HDMI switch will be useful, otherwise you will have removed the equipment, but simply replaced it with remotes.

If this sounds difficult, hire a pro, this is a VERY simple project for them, and should take just a few hours. It isn't exactly wireless, but it should accomplish exactly what you are looking to do, and should do so very reliably.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Assuming that your cat5e cable runs directly back to the location in which you would like to store your equipment, you should have no trouble accomplishing exactly what you are hoping to accomplish. Without recommending any specific brands, you will need an HDMI Switch (3x1 should work), an HDBaseT Extender with IR, and an IR repeater kit.

Your sources (Sat, DVD, etc) will plug into the HDMI Switch, the output of which will be hooked via HDMI to the transmit end of the HDBT extender. The Cat5e will carry your picture, audio, and IR between the equipment and the TV. On the TV end another HDMI will connect to the input of the TV, and the IR Receiver from your IR Kit will be placed in a convenient location, typically on the bezel of the TV.

This will collect the remote signals for each device and transmit them back to the equipment. The receiver kit will include small emitters, which will be attached to the sources and HDMI switch to control them from the TV location.

Finally, a good universal remote that can learn, or already contains, the codes for the HDMI switch will be useful, otherwise you will have removed the equipment, but simply replaced it with remotes.

If this sounds difficult, hire a pro, this is a VERY simple project for them, and should take just a few hours. It isn't exactly wireless, but it should accomplish exactly what you are looking to do, and should do so very reliably.

Hi is it possible to recommend any specific brands?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
383 Posts
http://www.futureshop.co.uk/blustre...-10036.html?osCsid=9ctpicmf1uep0fuojv1a9hc185

This seems to be a "hd base t" and a "Ir repeater" in 1? Is that correct? Would this be ok?

It is not overly important but I believe I have cat 5s to each room. Will this allow me to do the same to all the tvs in all the rooms? Or will I need to buy a separate box and 3to1 switch for each tv/room?

Thanks
It looks like the extender that you listed would work. If you decide to get into extending sources to multiple rooms you would need to replicate the setup (source to display) for each, or you could consider a matrix switcher, which will allow many distribution options.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts