AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a way to wirelessly distribute real-time television broadcast from our cable provider. Our home will not easily allow for running cables to the intended rooms. Ideally, this would be HD but I am willing to live with SD for this purpose. I currently have an old SD video extender connected to the set-top box for a point-to-point link, but this does not work very well due to interference. An 802.11n network would probably be the most extensible solution, but I need a relatively inexpensive video encoder to convert the video signal. Thanks

· Registered
1,490 Posts
It's more than you are probably looking for, but SageTV with their HD-200 extenders would work. It consists of a computer that has tuners attached to it that records TV. Depending on the number and type of tuners you have, you can record anything (SD, HD, cable, satellite, OTA, etc) and as many concurrent shows as you need.

The 2nd part of the equation is the HD Theater (also called the HD-200) high definition extender. It sits out next your your TV and can be attached via HDMI, component, or other means. It connects to your network either wirelessly or wired (obviously wirelessly in your case) and it pulls the recorded shows off the computer that is recording everything. You can watch "Live TV" this way with about a 2-3 second delay as the computer needs to record the stream. But this gives you all the TIVO style benefits like pausing live TV, etc.

You can also play other things over the extender including other videos, music, ripped DVDs and BlueRays, and can even play DVDs and BlueRay disks which are placed in an optical drive in the server computer.

So lots of options.

Check it out at SageTV's web site .

· Registered
102 Posts

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. You have given me a number of good ideas.

I am not yet to the point of wanting to build a true htpc. That means that the video card approach is out as I see it. I have been looking at the SiliconDust HDHomeRun as a tuner. I just wish they would put more technical details on their website. It appears that the HDHomeRun can only be used in conjunction with either Windows Media Center or SageTV, i.e. back to the htpc concept. If I do not want the DVR function, can I use the HDHomeRun to stream to a "media streamer" device (e.g. Popcorn Hour)? That would allow me to stream to a TV instead of a PC.

Another option would be SlingBox, which seems to take an "appliance" approach to the htpc concept. The one disadvantage is no HD streaming to TVs yet via the SlingCatcher. Also, their format is proprietary, and apparently does not allow a full digital HD stream even to PCs.

Opinions?

· Registered
1,490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_in_NorCal /forum/post/18135191

Thanks for the replies. You have given me a number of good ideas.

I am not yet to the point of wanting to build a true htpc.

Just making a clarifying point... going with SageTV and the extenders, you really are not building a HTPC. You do have to have a computer acting as a server, but it doesn't need to be very powerful, nor do you watch the recorded shows with the computer. So there is no need for a powerful graphics card (you could even run headless if you wanted to), no codec issues, etc, etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.