AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience or knowledge with this? My RG-59 cable put in my house in the early 70's has gotten snipped somewhere along the line and fixing it or re-wiring is not possible. I want to transmit the svideo and accompanying audio out of my TIVO to a TV in another room about 20-30 feet away.

Jack

·
Registered
350 Posts
Jack,

You need to search for a "video sender." These come either in 900 mHz or 2.4 gHz models, and work fairly well. We use this setup to transmit our DirecTV signal from one TV to the kitchen, where we have no room (or desire) for a separate DirecTV receiver.

I purchased mine at www.showmesales.com. They had the best price at the time on the 2.4 gHz model. Keep in mind though, that if you have a wireless phone or internet setup in your house, it will most likely interfere with your video signal. In our house, we have to unplug the 2.4 gHz phone in the kitchen in order to get a decent signal to the TV.... even with it unplugged there is some amount of little clicking and snapping in the audio on the kitchen TV from other radio interference in the house (wireless internet perhaps)...

For us, this isn't a huge problem, as we can use the audio in the living room and just mute the kitchen TV (the rooms are close enough together to allow this).

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jason

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Keep in mind if your neighbors have cordless phones, garage door openers, wireless Internet connections or a host of other devices at the commonly used 2.4 GHz slot it will affect your signal. These devices work as often as they do not. But as myrison explains your tolerance for its constant and inherent faults will determine if it is a usable products for you.

Someone with a TDR tester might be able to locate within 5 feet or so the place where your RG-59 is damaged. Repairing the wire may be only slightly less expensive if you can replaster the damage. If it is truly unrepairable then I do not see as you have any option save to do without the TV. Believe it or not I would do without the TV as the unpredictable performance of the wireless sender would drive me to distraction. But this is obviously a personal decision as myrison is quite happy with his despite the problems.

Alan

·
Registered
350 Posts
Alan... I think that's great advice. We really only tolerate the interference because it is a kitchen TV... if it was anywhere else where I really wanted to sit down and watch TV, it would not be a viable solution. The interference is much too distracting for any prolonged viewing.

However, perhaps if you live in the country, have no wireless phones/internet whatsoever, never run your microwave, and have a manually operated garage door opener, this is the perfect solution! ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.