AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finishing a basement and am putting in both a HT and some other ceiling speakers. I bought a Denon X2300W receiver, I'm going to use HSU speakers for the HT, and I bought Polk ls 700 speakers for the ceiling. The receiver is in a closet around 40 ft from the TV and everything is wired back to the receiver. My dilemma is the subwoofer. I'm really not sure where to put it, and probably won't know the optimal location until after the walls are all closed up. Which leads me to wondering if going with a wireless subwoofer is a viable option? Pros? Cons? Will it even work in the configuration i'm describing? I really know very little about the topic so looking for guidance. Thanks in advance, Dave

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
People do use wireless subs without any problems, so that's definitely an option. Personally, I'd just run cabling for subs to 3 or 4 different locations in the room before you close up the walls.
Ok thanks - is the advantage of wired just reliability?

·
Premium Member
7,203 Posts
another option is to run one sub cable to where you would most like to put the sub or the wireless transmitter. That way if the sub does not work out in that spot, you can just put the transmitter there and put the sub wherever there is a power outlet for it and the receiver. Wireless kits work great. I use one in my music only setup and its totally transparent. Mine is the OAW4 from Outlaw Audio but there are others like the one from Dayton Audio that get good reviews as well.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Definitely run a couple or more pre-wire cables (RG6 Quad or RG59) at least to front left & front right. It should be easy to run to the rear as well. Hardwire is always superior to wireless. Remember you'll need AC power in those locations.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
another option is to run one sub cable to where you would most like to put the sub or the wireless transmitter. That way if the sub does not work out in that spot, you can just put the transmitter there and put the sub wherever there is a power outlet for it and the receiver. Wireless kits work great. I use one in my music only setup and its totally transparent. Mine is the OAW4 from Outlaw Audio but there are others like the one from Dayton Audio that get good reviews as well.
. Thanks. So the advantage is just getting the transmitter closer to the spot where the sub will ultimately be for signal purposes? Also - I haven?t actually bought he subwoofer yet so I was thinking of getting a wireless one with its own transmitter. Any disadvantages? Are the aftermarket ones like outlaws thought to be better? Thx again.

·
Premium Member
7,203 Posts
. Thanks. So the advantage is just getting the transmitter closer to the spot where the sub will ultimately be for signal purposes? Also - I haven?t actually bought he subwoofer yet so I was thinking of getting a wireless one with its own transmitter. Any disadvantages? Are the aftermarket ones like outlaws thought to be better? Thx again.
Well, you mentioned your equipment will be 40' away so Im assuming its in another room. I would try and get the transmitter closer than that and anywhere in the same room should work fine. Im not familiar with subs that have built in wireless but with an external kit you can use any sub you want.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, you mentioned your equipment will be 40' away so Im assuming its in another room. I would try and get the transmitter closer than that and anywhere in the same room should work fine. Im not familiar with subs that have built in wireless but with an external kit you can use any sub you want.
got it. Thanks again much appreciated!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Just think about it, if you run some rca cable to several likely spots in the room that you could put the sub, later you may want to add a second sub and have a couple of prewired spots it could easily go!

You could make a nice looking installation if you used microphone cable in the walls and XLR jacks in wall plates for quick and easy connections. Just use a wire connection like this for the wire from the wallplate to sub wire and use the connection from the amp to both of the inner wires . Just use pin 1 to the shield on both ends and of the two center wires only connect one of them on the sub end and both of them on the receiver end and the thru wall wiring to get from balanced to unbalanced. Would make a neat versatile setup. I also like using speakon connectors for wall plates to connect speaker wire from amp to the speakers if going thru the walls. You can even run a stereo pair using a 4 wire cable thru the walls use a 4 line speakon at each end on the wall and then split it out into lleft and right at each end.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just think about it, if you run some rca cable to several likely spots in the room that you could put the sub, later you may want to add a second sub and have a couple of prewired spots it could easily go!

You could make a nice looking installation if you used microphone cable in the walls and XLR jacks in wall plates for quick and easy connections. Just use a wire connection like this for the wire from the wallplate to sub wire and use the connection from the amp to both of the inner wires . Just use pin 1 to the shield on both ends and of the two center wires only connect one of them on the sub end and both of them on the receiver end and the thru wall wiring to get from balanced to unbalanced. Would make a neat versatile setup. I also like using speakon connectors for wall plates to connect speaker wire from amp to the speakers if going thru the walls. You can even run a stereo pair using a 4 wire cable thru the walls use a 4 line speakon at each end on the wall and then split it out into lleft and right at each end.
Thank you! I appreciate the advice. I did end up running a couple of cables. Not sure if i will ever need a 2nd sub but you never know.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts