AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all.

I moved to NYC recently and the room I am renting has wireless internet signal through a router to which I have NO access to.

I assume is in some room on a different appartment of the building, I was just been provided with the networks ID and Pass to get my laptop online and it worked.

HOWEVER I did have my own little network prior to my move which included a desktop PC with no wireless card. That means it needs a cable hard-connected to a router which however as I mentioned is in a different floor alltogether.

From previous networking setups I do own the following two routers:

1. Linksys WRT54G Ver.6

2. Verizon ActionTec MI424-WR Rev.D

I keep coming across google results on how to make a bridge from one router or the other but I am not that savvy PLUS I don't know if those suggestions apply to my case.

REMEMBER: I do NOT and will NOT have access to the main router which I believe is a Linksys E2000 (after 192.168.1.1 with my laptop).

I need to know if any of my existing routers can receive the main signal wirelessly and then distribute it to both my laptop (with a cable that is, don't ask why) AND to my Desktop PC (cable would be the only option for this machine).

Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
Just quickly googling, it doesn't seem like this is particularly easy to do with either of these routers. I may be mistaken, but I think you need to use like DDWRT on the 54G to use it as a bridge, which requires flashing the router with new firmware. If you are not computer savvy enough to understand this (after you flash the routers firmware, you'd have to do all this: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Bridge ) and have not set up routers manually before, I would probably just suggest you go out and buy a bridge to do this since it will be much more straightforward for you.

Or just get a wireless card/adaptor for the old computer that is only hard-wired.

·
Registered
10,866 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
the DDWRT flash is indeed the only way to do it with the components you already have. In some ways it is a better solution than a USB adapter because you will have a wired connection for other components if ever desired.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.