AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building 2 sealed Dayton RSS315HF-8A subs and will be powering with a BASH300 right now until I save up for an iNuke.

I would like to wire them in parallel for a 4 ohm total load so I get the most out of the amp. (Yes, I know, small drivers and amp, but works for now for my tiny room and current budget).

Theoretically, I know how to do this. However, I am clueless on how to actually practically do it. I also would like to build and set them up so that I can easily convert to using the iNuke when I get it, if that is possible. If this means I build a small MDF enclosure around the BASH amp and keep it separate from the subs, I will do that.

I have 0 knowledge here, so any direction and help is appreciated!

Thank you.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am building 2 sealed Dayton RSS315HF-8A subs and will be powering with a BASH300 right now until I save up for an iNuke.

I would like to wire them in parallel for a 4 ohm total load so I get the most out of the amp. (Yes, I know, small drivers and amp, but works for now for my tiny room and current budget).

Theoretically, I know how to do this. However, I am clueless on how to actually practically do it. I also would like to build and set them up so that I can easily convert to using the iNuke when I get it, if that is possible. If this means I build a small MDF enclosure around the BASH amp and keep it separate from the subs, I will do that.

I have 0 knowledge here, so any direction and help is appreciated!

Thank you.
Is this two seperate sub enclosures? Parallel calls for a + & - per woofer so you want a pair of speaker cables (one for each) running from the single output of the plate amp. Ported would be more amp friendly btw.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is this two seperate sub enclosures? Parallel calls for a + & - per woofer so you want a pair of speaker cables (one for each) running from the single output of the plate amp. Ported would be more amp friendly btw.
Thank you. I got all my answers from speaking to some people.

This is the plan:

- separate enclosure for BASH amp
- 2 female speakon connectors wired in parallel in that enclosure
- 2 sealed sub enclosures, 1 female speakon in each
- 2 speakon cables, or purchase 4 male speakons and make my own cables.

Make sense?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thank you. I got all my answers from speaking to some people.

This is the plan:

- separate enclosure for BASH amp
- 2 female speakon connectors wired in parallel in that enclosure
- 2 sealed sub enclosures, 1 female speakon in each
- 2 speakon cables, or purchase 4 male speakons and make my own cables.

Make sense?
Yep, that'll do it, good luck.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks! I just need to learn how to attach the wires to the Speakons. I know there are different types, so need to make sure not to get the solder only ones.
I can only see 4 pole screw termination sockets, might find other brands do 2 poles. Not that it matters much here, you can just use two pins on each or alternatively just one speakon socket at the amp and two sets of speaker cables into one plug (NL4FX).

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can only see 4 pole screw termination sockets, might find other brands do 2 poles. Not that it matters much here, you can just use two pins on each or alternatively just one speakon socket at the amp and two sets of speaker cables into one plug (NL4FX).
I was told to get 4 pole for more flexibility. Will 2 pole work with the iNuke eventually?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I was told to get 4 pole for more flexibility. Will 2 pole work with the iNuke eventually?
Yes.

If you are wanting screw termination at the socket as well as plug then there's only 4 pole from what I can see.

4 pole sockets take a 2 or 4 pole plug, 2 pole sockets only take 2 pole plugs.

You could use a single 4 pole socket at the amp box and wire both subs into the same plug (sub#1 on pins 1+ & 1- sub#2 on 2+ & 2-).

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yes.

If you are wanting screw termination at the socket as well as plug then there's only 4 pole from what I can see.

4 pole sockets take a 2 or 4 pole plug, 2 pole sockets only take 2 pole plugs.

You could use a single 4 pole socket at the amp box and wire both subs into the same plug (sub#1 on pins 1+ & 1- sub#2 on 2+ & 2-).
I am an idiot and just realized that my brother (who lives in Boston) is coming home for the holidays.

So, ordering from PE to him and getting him to bring the parts is the cheapest and easiest option.

How does this look:

4 of these: https://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-nl2mp-speakon-connector-2-pole-panel-mount--092-059

2 for the amp box and 1 for each sub box

4 of these: https://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-nl2fx-speakon-connector-2-pole-cable-mount--092-198

2 for each cable to connect the amp to subs.

And I buy my own 12 gauge speaker wire locally and make my own cables, and use that to connect the sub to speakon in the sub enclosure.

Easy peasy?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am an idiot and just realized that my brother (who lives in Boston) is coming home for the holidays.

So, ordering from PE to him and getting him to bring the parts is the cheapest and easiest option.

How does this look:

4 of these: https://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-nl2mp-speakon-connector-2-pole-panel-mount--092-059

2 for the amp box and 1 for each sub box

4 of these: https://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-nl2fx-speakon-connector-2-pole-cable-mount--092-198

2 for each cable to connect the amp to subs.

And I buy my own 12 gauge speaker wire locally and make my own cables, and use that to connect the sub to speakon in the sub enclosure.

Easy peasy?
Yep, except I thought you wanted screw termination? (plugs linked are screw - socket is solder).

You could achieve the same goal with one less hole to make with just one of these, one of these and 2 of them.

Might want to consider these for the sealed subs.

Edit: I just remembered you want to move it over to a pro amp so go with your plan.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep, except I thought you wanted screw termination? (plugs linked are screw - socket is solder).

You could achieve the same goal with one less hole to make with just one of these, one of these and 2 of them.

Might want to consider these for the sealed subs.

Edit: I just remembered you want to move it over to a pro amp so go with your plan.

Sorry I am a total noob with these pieces. I thought the "male" one I linked is the one where you screw the wires in with a screwdriver? And the "female" one I linked you just twist tie the wire to the back?

Sorry for the dumb questions.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sorry I am a total noob with these pieces. I thought the "male" one I linked is the one where you screw the wires in with a screwdriver? And the "female" one I linked you just twist tie the wire to the back?

Sorry for the dumb questions.
No need to apologise, not dumb questions at all. Yes the male plugs are screw termination, the female sockets I guess you could just twist the wires but you would need to make sure they are very well wound tight; they're meant to be soldered or use 3/16" crimp push terminals.

The 4 pole one I linked before NL4MP-ST offers screw termination

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No need to apologise, not dumb questions at all. Yes the male plugs are screw termination, the female sockets I guess you could just twist the wires but you would need to make sure they are very well wound tight; they're meant to be soldered or use 3/16" crimp push terminals.

The 4 pole one I linked before NL4MP-ST offers screw termination

Ahhh okay, that makes more sense. Thanks! Very helpful, really appreciate the information. I will likely get the 4 pole one then.

Oh and the gaskets look great, will grab a pair of those as well.

Thanks again, will hopefully put this all together soon.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ahhh okay, that makes more sense. Thanks! Very helpful, really appreciate the information. I will likely get the 4 pole one then.

Oh and the gaskets look great, will grab a pair of those as well.

Thanks again, will hopefully put this all together soon.
You're welcome, post here if you have any problems/questions along the way.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts