AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about prewiring in a new home. I am going to put a plasma over the fireplace and I want to make sure I put all the wires I need in there before the drywall. Right now I am putting in a component cable and audio rca cables, the power outlet is already taken care of. I am going to have surround sound, cable box and dvd player. I want to control all the inputs from a tuner. Is ther any other video wires I should add? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
If your walls are open, run on oversized conduit in the wall along with a fish tape, so you can always snake new cables afterwards as the need arises.

·
Registered
172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye4eva /forum/post/0

I have a question about prewiring in a new home. I am going to put a plasma over the fireplace and I want to make sure I put all the wires I need in there before the drywall. Right now I am putting in a component cable and audio rca cables, the power outlet is already taken care of. I am going to have surround sound, cable box and dvd player. I want to control all the inputs from a tuner. Is ther any other video wires I should add? Thanks in advance

In addition to Brad's suggestion, put and HDMI cable in place. This will be the standard for at least a few more years. Also, would recommend a piece or two of cat5e. This can be converted to things like component video or audio. Just as a safety net.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Run them all while you have a chance. HDMI, Component, Composite, S-Video and RGB (Computer cable) Then run a conduit to future proof the system.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The problem is that it is a 25 ft run to the components. I dont have the money for all the other stuff right now so i am trying to put the minimum amount of wires in. I know it would be best to run them all, I wish I could. So basically I guess I am asking do I have the minimum amount of wires I will need? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can anyone give me a suggestion? I want to mount the plasma, and run surround sound and a DVD player and the cable box. The cable box is HD. Is there any way to just run Component cables to the plasma and use a tuner to control the input? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
670 Posts
I think what they are saying is while the wall is open, put some 3 inch PVC tubing in the wall if there are time constraints on drywall.

you can run anything you want after that.

give yourself some time to think it through and the cables that you will need.

you will be kicking yourself down the line if you just run component alone once drywall is up.

is that possible?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do not know if it is possible, I was lucky enough to talk them into letting me run the component cable and speaker cables. I wish I could run the conduit, I found some flexible conduit that would work but they would frown on that. thanks for the advice though.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
I ran extra cables from my HT rack to the wall in my bar. I included 50 ft of HDMI, component, cat6, RG59 & RG6 (to the rack and to the source) and speaker wire. I did not run conduit to the bar, but did to the HT room.

I bought all my video cables at monoprice.com for both the HT room and the bar. They are great quality and affordable prices.

Bud

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.