AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current setup right now is:

Speaker => 2 ft speaker wire => wall plate (banana plugs) => 15 ft speaker wire (crawl space) => AVR

From the wall, the wire goes down into the crawl space and comes up in this nook area where my AVR is. All I have right now is just a circular hole where the wires come up and attach to the AVR.

Well, a few mice from the crawl space finally got smart and figured out thats an easy way into my family room! So my plan is to put another wall plate over this circular hole. So it will be like:

Speaker => 2 ft speaker wire => wall plate (banana plugs) => 15 ft speaker wire (crawl space) => wall plate (banana plugs) => 2 ft speaker wire (nook area) => AVR

How will this impact sound quality by having 2 breaks in the speaker wire and sub woofer wire? I'm guessing little if any and nothing I can hear, but I wanted to confirm with the pro's before I begin my adventure.

Thanks,

Rob

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
as long as the inter-connections are well made and secure there will be no effect to the sound. The intermediate connections on the subwoofer cable should be with female/female plate RCA connectors - that way the shielding is maintained.

There is another option you could consider, pass-through wall plates http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2 but you would want to use these with an electrical outlet box so they are not just a "hole in the wall"

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You guys mention as long as the connections are done properly. I currently have some banana plugs gong into the wall plate already, but I just threw the plug onto the wire, pushed the copper wire down around hte plug, screwed on top and plugged it into the wall. Is there a proper way i dont' know about?

As for well made inter connects I was going to buy from either mono or blue jeans - I'm assuming either is well made, no?

Thanks,

Rob

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Better then a cat, get a ferret.

What type of wall covers are available for the sub woofer cable?

·
Registered
2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc3 /forum/post/16920617

You guys mention as long as the connections are done properly. I currently have some banana plugs gong into the wall plate already, but I just threw the plug onto the wire, pushed the copper wire down around hte plug, screwed on top and plugged it into the wall. Is there a proper way i dont' know about?

As for well made inter connects I was going to buy from either mono or blue jeans - I'm assuming either is well made, no?

Thanks,

Rob

If there are no stray wires and the plug doesn't come off when tugged on, you did it properly.

Either of those companies will suffice just fine.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsHT /forum/post/16920619

Better then a cat, get a ferret.

What type of wall covers are available for the sub woofer cable?

Tom, I was going to use this as the cover behind all my components:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Although, the wall where my sub and left speaker are, I want to find one that only handles those 2.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc3 /forum/post/16921187

Tom, I was going to use this as the cover behind all my components:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Although, the wall where my sub and left speaker are, I want to find one that only handles those 2.

I bought all my wall plates from Lowes. They sell a brand named On-Q. With On-Q and others I'm sure, you can just buy a plate that has the number of spaces you need or will need at sometime in the future and put whatever modules or blanks in that you need. They can be changed at anytime without buying a whole new plate.

For modules they have ethernet, RCA, HDMI, speaker level, phone, coax, etc, etc.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts