AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is the wrong place, haven't posted here for a long time and just started my "basement theater", decided against a projector, mainly due to space... but am going to put in a 60" slim LCD flat screen... installing a fireplace also (its an electric one with forced air so it shouldn't heat up the screen like a wood or gas burning one would) but I was wondering what would be the best way to put the wiring behind the screen?

Right now I am at the framing stages, so I can do anything wire wise, the chase for the fireplace is framed, it stands out from the wall and is going to have bookcases on either side of it... so I have an 8' wide chase, with 6 ft on each side for shelving

What type of connections would you think would be good to have behind it? I know for sure HDMI and Cat6, think Coax would still be a good idea? with cable boxes now days seems like a waste of cable to put coax there.

I was going to run the cables from there into a built in media cabinet where all the equipment will be stored with termination in the back of the cabinet.

Wall plate wise though, what is best? Lowes has one that has a recessed outlet, a single cat5e jack and room for coax or hdmi, but was wondering are there any other recessed wall plate boxes out there? or do you guys usually just put say a 2 gang box in the wall and just go with all the wires to that and a flat plate / connectors and a standalone 1 gang box for electric since they aren't supose to be joined in the same box (high / low voltage mixing)

I'm lost on where to start with this part.. any suggestions or ideas would be nice, thanks!

·
Registered
622 Posts
If you want power behind the TV, along with the low voltage cables, I would use one of these:

Link: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

I have one of these behind the wall-mounted TV in our bedroom. The low voltage side has an HDMI cable, a component cable and one or two others. They all fit but it was tight. A component cable is a space hog!

If you don't need the power outlet, you could use one of these:

Link: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

As to what cables to run, if your video and audio switching will be done in the equipment room, instead of by the TV, then you could probably get by with just the HDMI and a couple of Cat6. For future-proofing, I would probably also run a conduit from the equipment room to behind the TV and leave it empty. Try to use a conduit that's big enough to pass an HDMI connector.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.