AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm in the middle of construction and my electrician ran off on me. So I'm planning on completing the cable hookup in my house. All the rooms that need cable are wired up "home-run" to the basement. But they aren't connected or anything. What exactly do i need to connect it all so all these rooms have cable? There are a total of 8 rooms. I hear something about junction boxes or amplifiers. I'm not sure exactly what I need. Thanks for any help you guys can provide!

·
Registered
9 Posts
You may want to provide a little more information to get a better answer to your question. I assume its cable over Satellite. You may want to say who the cable provider is, if its digital cable, is it HDTV, what kind of receivers/equipment you are using and approximately how long the cable lengths are and how many rooms.

Your project might be just as simple as buying 2 1x4 and 1 1x2 splitters and connecting the incoming line to the input on the 1x2 then connecting the outputs to the 1x4 splitter inputs and connecting each of the 8 outputs to each cable going to your rooms.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My cable installer used an 8-way splitter. I know in my old house, they had to add a signal booster / amplifier when upgrading to digital cable, but I don't recall if our current house has one of those or not - I'll have to look when I get home.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i have comcast cable. one sd digital box and one hd box. then the 6 other lines are just regular analog. the runs will be around 50ft. 75ft at most. im curious as to why you'd do a 1-4 and 1-2 instead of just doing a 1-8? And will it need to be amplified? If not, could I just use an amplifier just in case...without it causing any problems?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.