AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new at all of this - so thanks for your patience - my first post.

I have a Denon 2307CI with 5.1 home theater set-up. I am planning on setting up zone 2. Due to the nature of the rooms with in consistent listening positions and stereo imaging is unimportant, I am planning on a DVC speaker. Simple and straight forward - simply run speaker wire to each coil of the DVC speaker and plug connect the wire into the appropriate out jacks on the Denon. I spent some time in Visio to help ask my question.

This is how the Polk user manual says to wire the Polk DVC speaker (RC6S) (attached jpeg).
Attachment 194202

Basically the Polk is two speakers in one housing. Wiring in this manner gives me both stereo channels in one speaker - which is what I want.

My question is this: I actually want to install two DVC speakers, and believe I need to wire the two DVC speakers in series (parallel wiring may overpower my Denon). How do I wire two DVC speakers in series in a manner that still provides both stereo channels to each DVC speaker?

Wiring single VC speakers in series is straight forward. From deductive reasoning, I came up with the following wiring schema. Is this wiring correct? (attached jpeg) Basically, I am connecting a single voice coil #1 in speaker A to the voice #1 in speaker B - in series. Then doing the same again for the second voice coils in each speaker. The DVC speakers are 8 ohms. Am I right in thinking this would be total 16 ohms resistance?

Thanks for any help - Joe
Attachment 194182

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Its a good "guess".... the wiring that is. The result will likely be an IMPEDANCE of ~16 (according to polk's "compatible with 8 ohm amp statement").... but its likely that your amp isn't going to like it much. I probably don't understand what you are trying to do but in general hooking up speakers either series wise or parallel wise to "singular" outputs of amps isn't usually a good idea long term especially with the "internals" of receivers today that are pretty "fussy" about the impedance that they see. I guess you could try it, see if it gets you what you want, and hopefully, the protection circuit(s) will cut in if things aren't "happy".

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
16 ohms is not much of an issue. If you bought an impedance matching speaker box, it would likely put the two in series anyway.

No offense to the above poster, but the receiver won't mind 16 ohms at all. Receivers have issues with too low of impedance.

Here's the downside of 16 ohm impedance, IMO...it takes more voltage to drive than 8 ohms, so you may reach the point of clipping sooner than you would with 8 ohm speakers. If zone 2 is mainly for background music this is a non issue. It's theoretically safer for the receiver. And it's fine for the speakers if you are not going crazy with them (driving them into distortion.)

If I was doing the wiring, I would probably wire them in series as well, just because it seems like the safer option.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Not sure. I found your second diagram confusing.

I would wire like this...

amp_left_minus -> sp1_left_minus; sp1_left_plus -> sp2_left_minus; sp2_left_plus -> amp_left_plus

And the same idea for the right.

Left and right are arbitrary, such as left being coil 1. My reason is to logically assign the same coil "numbers" to the same channel as it's easier to think about that way.

One concern is phase. I believe my wiring ensures that all coils are in phase, but you may want to look at wiring diagrams online (I did and they seemed to support my wiring.) Minus should be the same speaker terminal on the receiver, such as calling red minus (I think there's a convention.) With AC, none is "really" minus. Black and red are just conventions so that you wire everything up in phase.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In my original post, I changed the single DVC speaker wiring diagram to be more consistent with the diagram of the two DVC speakers in series - so maybe the latter makes more sense now.

If I have interpreted your suggestion correctly - it aligns perfectly with my diagram of two DVC speakers in series. I Googled the Internet over looking for wiring of DVC speakers in series found many showed how to do using only one channel on the amp - I'm using two channels from my amp (left and right).

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Your second diagram just looks wrong to me. It looks like you have the left amp connected to the right amp in series, which is wrong.

I read it thus -

Left_red -> C1_plus; C1_minus -> C2_plus; C2_minus -> Right_black

That can't be right, I think.

Simplified you want -

Amp_left -> speaker #1 -> speaker # 2 -> Amp_left

Amp_right -> speaker #1 -> speaker #2 -> Amp_right

The left channel goes to one set of voice coils (say the one's label #1.) The right channel goes to the other set.

The sets should be wired in phase with with the amp terminals. Something like black -> plus; minus -> plus; plus -

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Michael for walking me through this. I'm very new to it all. I see what you mean now. I think this is what you have been telling me:
Attachment 194204

I have have not quite grasped the phase concern - if I wire per this last diagram - would I be good?

Thank you very much.

Joe

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Phase just means that the signal flow is consistent. Take a simple case of two normal speakers.

You wire black to black and red to red. You do this because if you are not consistent, one speaker will move out when the other moves in.

Your second diagram is closer, but not quite right, I think. You want it like this, I think...

Amp_left_black -> Speaker_1_coil1_minus

((Speaker_1_coil1_plus -
Speaker_1_coil1_plus -> Speaker_2_coil1_minus

((Speaker_2_coil2_plus -> Speaker_2_coil2_minus - As above it's inherently in series, you don't wire this yourself)

Speaker_2_coil2_minus -> Amp_left_red

So it's a series, with no parallel circuits. In your diagram, I think you have some incorrect connections. Speaker 1, coil 1 plus should not be connected to two points, for example.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Looks correct to me now. Maybe someone else won't agree. But it's properly in series, and seems to be wired such that there's no phase issue (in other words, all the speaker cones should move in same direction.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts