AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to build my second FICar Q18 700 liter sonosub to be run (along with my first) by an EP2500.

Per Scott at Ficar..

Quote: "With a single Q18 you would be best served with a single 8 Ohm coil That way you can run the amp in bridged mode, but still not get full power (which is way too much for a single Q18). And if you should choose to add a second sub at a later date, you would simply run both subs in parallel for a single 4 Ohm load for the amp (making max power for the pair)."

Question: Based on this... I want to confirm that this is my wiring setup..

(A)

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/ca/..._4-ohm_2ch.jpg

or is this

(B)

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/ca/..._8-ohm_2ch.jpg

Can't say I'm the most astute on the technical side...just trying to get it right the first time.

thanks in advance

Matt

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
They make Q18s with single 8ohm coils?

The way Scott describes, it's diagram B.

You could also just use the Dual 1ohm Q18s. Wiring the coils in series will yield 2ohm per driver which can then be connected to the amp on a single channel. The thing is, you haven't stated what setup your first Q18 driver has so I don't know how you would wire them both to the amp.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelnatsch517 /forum/post/15527907

They make Q18s with single 8ohm coils?

The way Scott describes, it's diagram B.

You could also just use the Dual 1ohm Q18s. Wiring the coils in series will yield 2ohm per driver which can then be connected to the amp on a single channel. The thing is, you haven't stated what setup your first Q18 driver has so I don't know how you would wire them both to the amp.

Here's my current wiring on the single 8Ohm
http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/ca/..._8-ohm_2ch.jpg

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin_Jason /forum/post/15528446

I haven't seen single 8Ω's coils either, unless they are doing more HT stuff. Can you get a dmm reading of your subs impedance?

unfortnately I'm lost as to what this means? I'm just relaying what Scott at Ficaraudio sent me via email.... He built my driver

·
Registered
21 Posts
Using a digital multi meter on the Ω setting, you put the leads on the speaker terminals to get your impedance (ohms). So do you already have the second sub?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin_Jason /forum/post/15528524

Using a digital multi meter on the Ω setting, you put the leads on the speaker terminals to get your impedance (ohms). So do you already have the second sub?

oh..ok....

dont have sub yet....building it now....hope to cut out mdf this week. already have sonotube cut..driver should get here this week from Ficaraudio

·
Registered
1,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin_Jason /forum/post/15528524

Hmm, if Scott at FiCar audio built your first driver and said it was a single 8ohm coil then I'll just have to take his word for it. If that is true then getting another one with single 8ohm would be wired like diagram B in your original post.

I'm just curious as to how you purchased your driver. Is it custom built because I only see dual 1ohm and dual 2ohm drivers on FiCar Audio's website. If it is, I also wonder what the T/S parameters are on them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Gotta love Fi, I know I do. The 2 15" BL's in my truck make me happy. Great products. Glad to see them doing custom work for home as well. When I need subs I will have to see what they have at the time.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelnatsch517 /forum/post/15529918

Hmm, if Scott at FiCar audio built your first driver and said it was a single 8ohm coil then I'll just have to take his word for it. If that is true then getting another one with single 8ohm would be wired like diagram B in your original post.

I'm just curious as to how you purchased your driver. Is it custom built because I only see dual 1ohm and dual 2ohm drivers on FiCar Audio's website. If it is, I also wonder what the T/S parameters are on them.

yes, Scott custom built my driver after I explained exactly what I was building..

Here are a couple quotes from Scott in emails he sent me...

Quote:Yes, we have the single 8 Ohm coil for your sub.

Quote: I know they are VERY similar to the specs for the D1 coil (actually the same coils just wound differently).

He even called me last week after I placed my second order to ask one question and confirmed that he found my first order (a year ago) and made suer this driver matched that one.

Btw....great service at Ficaraudio....Highly recommend them.

Matt

1 - 11 of 11 Posts