AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a house and have the chance before the sheetrock goes in to prewire for a bunch of things.

My question is: how do I prewire for a baby monitor? Cat-5 or ?? This would be for audio only.

What do I need to send audio to a multi-zone amp (I plan to use a Kustom 6640) for a baby monitor?

Thanks,

Glenn

·
Registered
599 Posts
Most baby monitors are wireless

They do not have an audio out connector

You could use a cheap mic in the baby's room to your central amp.

Then distribute as you like

I have mine going to an mixer in the garage to outdoor speakers.

I mix it with the fm reciever

So mama can work outside and still hear the baby

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'd recommend that you plan for video as well...

I started much like you, and now I'm up to 2 baby-cams with Infrared illuminators through a Channel Plus modulator onto our CATV system.

The video is really great to have... during bedtime we keep them on Picture In Picture so we can be sure they don't 'escape'...

I actually didn't do baby-cam-specific wiring... I'm using one of the Target cameras, and sending the video 'backwards' through one of the 2 RG-6 wires I'd pulled for CATV down to my wiring closet.

As far as Audio goes, I'm not using it via this system. We have a regular wireless baby monitor that we move around as we go through our evening. That way we can keep an ear on the little one even when we're not near the TVs. The big one can now make enough noise to be heard anywhere in the house :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. Maybe it would help if I gave more details. :)

We have one of the wireless baby monitors now, and I don't like the fact that I have to carry around the receiver wherever I go. Since I'm having my house wired for sound anyway, I thought it would be better to be able to hear the baby through any of the speakers, wherever I am.

The multi-zone amp I'm looking at (Kustom 6640) has an input for a whole house page that can be triggered by an audio signal of a certain level. So, music can be playing and the baby starts crying, which will mute the music and amplify the baby through all zones. :eek:

The docs for the 6640 say that the page input can be from a mixer. So, I would need to hookup a microphone in the baby room to a mixer, right? The mic would be attached to a mixer from an RG-6 cable or cat-5 or ???

I hadn't thought about a baby-cam, but it's probably a good idea to wire for one anyway, since I have the walls open. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Ah, I think I understand a little better what you're doing...

I like the idea that the baby monitor would mute the music, although I could see that it could get annoying if somebody is trying to quiet a fussy baby while others are trying to enjoy the music somewhere else. Just a thought.

Microphones are generally low-power signals, so you'll need to go through a mixer or preamp to bring that up to 'normal' audio levels, which is probably what your distribution amp expects. There are lots of ways to do this, and you might need to experiment... at first thought one of those 'flyswatter' microphones might be a good bet. Depending on how fancy you want to go you can do this by spending lots of $$$ or by spending some time at the Shack...

Hope that helps,

Carlos

·
Registered
154 Posts
Oh, and one more thing... if there is a chance that baby will eventually have siblings, run wires to another room or two, too.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Carlos,

Heh, the baby already has a 3 year old sibling. But as you said earlier, he can be heard throughout the house. He's almost figured out to open doors, too. ;)

Glenn

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.