AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new house under construction and plan on running speaker wire to outdoor speakers that will be attached to the rear of the house. Will regular in wall speaker wire suffice for this, or do I need to purchase outdoor speaker wire.

I am also looking for suggestions for a good place to purchase wall plates for a composite video cables. I did not see any offered at monoprice.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
If the wires are exposed to the elements then you would need wire rated for such exposure. Any type of wire of the appropriate gauge (probably 12awg or 14awg) will do, it doesn't need to be "speaker" rated.

I did a Google search and found numerous suppliers for wall plates with one composite and two stereo audio outputs (which you can ignore if you don't need) if that works for you.

But if you're doing a new house you should wire it with HDMI cables, or two CAT-5 cables so you can connect a Hi Def video signal later on if you desire. Composite is only good for standard def video and is nearly obsolete.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. The only reason I am using composite is for a dual room Dish Network receiver. Unfortunately, the second room is SDTV. I plan on going ahead and wiring with a HDMI for future use.

·
Registered
412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewH /forum/post/14257406

I have a new house under construction and plan on running speaker wire to outdoor speakers that will be attached to the rear of the house. Will regular in wall speaker wire suffice for this, or do I need to purchase outdoor speaker wire.

Thanks.

Any normal speaker wire will work fine. The jacket may break down over time if exposed to sunlight - in which case you should look for something that is rated "Sun Res" or Sunlight Resistance. This will ensure that the material has survived the UL 720 hour UV test. Another rating you can look for, but really doesn't help is the CMX-outdoor rating. This rating includes a 360 hour UV test plus a "cold bend" test that makes sure the jacket won't crack while being bent - even at freezing temperatures. Luckily, your speaker wire won't be moving (or shouldn't be).

As it will be going through a wall (I presume), you do need something that is rated for in-wall use like CL2 or CL3. Both are common ratings for speaker wire. Alternatively, CL2R or CL3R can be substituted, but the "R" Riser rating is not technically needed.

Hope this helps,

Carl

·
Registered
254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedders /forum/post/14258262

Any normal speaker wire will work fine. The jacket may break down over time if exposed to sunlight - in which case you should look for something that is rated "Sun Res" or Sunlight Resistance.

Or terminate the wires at speaker plates on the outside and then run patch wire from the plate to the speaker.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Everyone thanks for your replies.

I plan on purchasing a large amount of 14AWG in wall cable from Monoprice for my in house wire runs. I will just use that for my wire runs for the speakers on the back porch as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts