Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Just had the framing and electrical finished today on my HT and now I have to run wiring before Drywalling late next week. Yikes!

I'm wondering if anyone can point me to a source of suggested wiring for a room with a 7.1 setup?

Here's what I've got so far:

In walls,

A) 12AWG to L C R (maybe two runs for bi-wiring?)

B) RG6 to two possible sub locations (left front and right front)

c) 14 AWG to ADP surrounds and rears

Running a 3" conduit to projector position with the following:

d) S-video to projector (OSD for my HK 7200)

e) Component (RG6) to projector

f) DVI to projector

In wall

g) cable from my Xantech block to an IR receiver at the front of the room (suggestions for cable type?)

Under riser in a 3" conduit to the face of the riser:

h) RG6 to hook up my laptop for internet connection (will this work or do I need Cat5?)

i) something to connect my monitor output from laptop to the receiver or to the projector

j) Extensions for two Xbox controllers

k) Extension for Sennheiser HD 570 Headphones

Conduit upstairs containing:

l) 2 X 14AWG running upstairs for Zone 2

m) RG6 running upstairs for IR receiver

n) something to connect a paradigm volume controller to the amp? Does anyone have any other suggestions before I drywall this thing?

Room size 11.5' X 18'

Rack in the back right corner (if facing screen)

Equipment:

Infocus 5700 projector (ceiling mounted)

Harman Kardon AVR 7200

Paradigm Studio 60's front CC570, ADP's

Servo 15 Sub

Thanks for your help!

Soundproof This!!!!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
RG6 won't help connect your laptop to the Internet. You'll want to pull Cat3 if you dial in or Cat5 if you have a LAN with an Internet connection.

·
Registered
322 Posts
a)-d) OK

e)try to find RGB cable or at least something with a solid copper center, as most RG6 is copper-clad-steel. Get a 5 conductor RGB or run 5 single runs if you can't find RGB.

f) OK

g)cat5e will work for IR

h)as said above pull cat5e for internet connection

i)again RGB or 5 single coax with solid copper center for your vga out

j)not sure

k)why headphones in a theater??

l)OK

m)you can use coax but IR components for cat5 are slightly cheaper and have a bigger selection

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the great suggestions.

I slipped up on 'm' and had planned to run cat5e to that IR receiver also.

Regarding 'k', notwithstanding my extensive attempts to control sound in the room, I suspect that bass will leak out (I'm getting a Servo 15 so this is pretty hard to contain). I have three children and like to watch movies late at night so this is a concession to my wife. Also, I bought the headphones because I got a deal on my HK 7200 but didn't have the theater (or speakers) set up so now I'm listening to this monstrous amp in my living room through headphones watching a 27 inch Sony. :)

I can't wait til it's done...

Thanks so much for your advice, especially Eric S for his thorough reponse.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
outlier2, sounds like an organized plan. I second the CAT5 cable for your broadband connection. I have my Xantech IR repeater system connecting block to sensor wired with CAT5. I have always prewired low level sub coaxial input cable with RG6Q (quad shielding provides more protection against hum ). 12AWG all the way around is the way to go if all seven speakers are identical since in a digital surround format they will all be getting full-bandwidth (well with bass management the sats start at around 80Hz). You may consider running a single composite (yellow RCA video patch) for the PJ if you want a camera input, etc. projected. Get on Dolbys site to wire your 7.1 correct, ( www.dolby.com ). Side placement for monopoles and tripoles and rear placement placed wide for monopoles are good. This is a good site for over-all structured wiring insight: www.swhowto.com

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Hometheaterguy! Great suggestions! Do you have any thoughts about biwiring only the fronts? Should the CC be biwired also?

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Anytime. Bi-wiring is beneficial if you bi-amp main speakers. If you plan to ever do this prewire is easier than retrofitting wire in the walls. I have not seen centers or surrounds bi-wired mainly because I have not seen these speakers with multiple terminals. I know of a M&K Professional tripole that is triamped, but the amps are housed in the enclosure. What do you mean by CC?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hometheaterguy,

CC means 'center channel'.

I believe Paradigm's studio V3 lineup are all capable of biwiring but I'm not 100 percent sure of this. The CC570 is likely biwirable as it is a huge 3way center channel. :)

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
If they made it with dual connections, I am a firm believer in biwiring and biamping if possible.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
outlier2,

Don't just bi-wire, you should bi-amp the Center Channel. Bi-amping shouldn't be just providing for a separate amp to power the other set of drivers in the speaker. You should bypass the internal crossovers of the speaker also. You will need an additional piece of equipment known as an active crossover. Rane and Marchand sell them. Good luck, it is well worth the adventure. When done correctly you hear things you never realized were there.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'm not quite ready for active crossovers yet. I'm buying ALL of my equipment at once so I think I'll rely on the HK 7200's active bass management and /or the Servo 15's X30 crossover to do that work. I may bi-amp the fronts using the extra 2 amps on my 7 channel receiver. This is likely a good thing because I don't think I'll have space for a full 7.1 set of speakers anyway. I will bi-wire the CC but don't have the cash to buy another amp for just this purpose.

Cheers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.