AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for posting something that probably already been talked about. I am setting up my first home surround system. I have a 52inch Samsung which I want to hookup a Sony STR-DN1000, Polk Audio RM6750 speakers, PS3, Toshiba Upscaling DVD, and my high def cable box. I would like to hookup everything through the HDMI inputs of the receiver and then run one HDMI cable to the back of the TV. If I do this, will I get surround sound out of my speakers, or do I have to hook up digital optical cables? Thanks in advance for helping somebody to has limited knowledge of surround systems.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
The AVR should have drawings in the owner's manual to show you exactly how things should be hooked up to do what you want.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Everything will be transmitted nicely via the HDMI cables, but you will need to assign those inputs in the AVR to tell it what you want done with the audio. As mentioned by Bluesky, the manual will be the best reference for how to assign those inputs. All three of your components will probably take a HDMI cable, so no optical cable is necessary. For reference, optical is only good up to Dolby Digital and DTS from DVDs, so Blu-ray high def codecs need the HDMI or a full set of RCA cables...not sure the PS3 has those.

·
Registered
65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hef /forum/post/18272525

For reference, optical is only good up to Dolby Digital and DTS from DVDs, so Blu-ray high def codecs need the HDMI or a full set of RCA cables...not sure the PS3 has those.

PS3 has HDMI out, optical audio out and its proprietary AV connection. It does not have multi-channel analog audio outputs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts