AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to cables but I assume what I'm about to ask for information on is not an unusual need, I just couldn't figure out the right search to find it.

I have dual subs 30' and 40' away from my receiver. I want the wires to be hidden in the walls and my receiver has one pre out connection. Is this how I would tackle it?

1. Connect an RCA male to F-type female adapter to the subwoofer out on the receiver.

2. Connect some RG-6 QS cable from step 1 to an RG-6 splitter.

3. Connect more RG-6 QS cable from the splitter through the walls to two in-wall face plates that have F-type adapters.

4. Connect an F-type male to RCA female adapter to each wall plate.

5. Connect RCA male subwoofer cable between the wall plates and each subwoofer.

I'd appreciate the advice of others that have either done this or understand the issues involved. Thanks.

· Registered
1,166 Posts
Buy a RCA (Male) x1 "Y" to RCA (Female) x2

Then run your coax cables using the F connector with RCA adapter from each sub to the "Y".

I ran my coax through the wall all the way to the sub in one piece. Running the coax out a small hole in a solid plate.

DO NOT USE THE RG6 SPLITTER. IT IS FOR HIGH NOT LOW FREQUENCY CONNECTIONS.

· Registered
3,947 Posts
That'll work, with one exception: The splitter is for RF, not audio. Instead, use a Y-cord with one RCA plug and two RCA jacks, then the dual RG-6's.

Two ways to save money:

1) Forget the quad shield, and use RG-59 instead; it's just as good for audio, thinner and more flexible, too. Use a regular RCA cord to the wall.

2) Find a wall plate with one back-to-back RCA jack, use the Y-cord in the wall, and connect the two F-connectors to a pair of adapters there.

· Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jim and Larry,

Thanks for the advice.

I can now see why these types of projects are so addictive, time consuming, an error prone. I have made some purchases but have not actually built anything yet. Everytime I turn around in this planning phase there is something else I forgot to consider. I don't know what people did before there were forums like this to consult for advice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.