AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wiring my small townhouse

I'm having dry wall repair and paint work done at my small, two-story town house and wanted to use the chance to install a structured media enclosure and wiring. I'm planning to place a 42" Leviton panel in my laundry area, next to my washer and dryer, to house my U-verse gateway, Netgear wireless router and eventual home automation/alarm equipment. It would be located where the hanging ironing board is in the attached picture. This area is centrally located, allowing for easy wiring, and since the area is open there is little issue with heat build up. The one downside I've noticed is there is only about 14 inches between the wall and the edge of the washer, which doesn't leave much room for centrally locating equipment, especially if I add cabinets higher up. My upstairs office/second bedroom has two closets which I could use, but the house is small enough where I'm not really sure if its worth it. I'm still deciding on what wiring to run, but I'm considering 3 Cat 6 cables and 1 RG6 cable in conduit to each location. For now I wanted to see if there were any holes in my plan for the enclosure location. Thanks!

Room Property Bathroom Building Toilet

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I don't see an issue. Maybe if you have a hinged door it won't open all the way. Just get a flush cover and you can simply remove it if you need access.

The enclosures usually only have 2 knockouts at the top, so if you are running a bunch of conduit to different locations you will have to plan accordingly. Perhaps run (2) 2" conduit up about a foot from the enclosure, then cut an access panel in. Run all your other conduits to that area and then you can route the wires through the access panel.

You could also use boxes but for low voltage it wouldn't really matter.

Depending on what you want to locate in the area you can get rackmount brackets that hold equipment vertically.

Tim

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
My upstairs office/second bedroom has two closets which I could use, but the house is small enough where I'm not really sure if its worth it. I'm still deciding on what wiring to run, but I'm considering 3 Cat 6 cables and 1 RG6 cable in conduit to each location. For now I wanted to see if there were any holes in my plan for the enclosure location. Thanks!

Run the wires outside the conduit. Preserve conduit for future use.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Tip, don't put your Wireless router inside a metal box. :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As nervous as I was to do so, I ended up cutting a hole in the ceiling of my laundry area to take a look around. I was surprised to find that my phone lines and CATV lines run right by where I plan to locate the SMC! This will make getting the outside CATV and PSTN lines in to the SMC very easy. Unfortunately my and my neighbor's AC power feeds also run right by there; so I'll have to watch out for those. Another thing I noticed is that my ceiling joist are setup in a way that fishing wire shouldn't be as hard as I thought. I'll keep you all updated!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Making some progress so I thought I'd update. I went ahead and cut a hole for my Leviton SMC. The wiring for my HVAC thermostat is in the way so I'll have to shift that over to the next bay. I was planning on moving the existing AC outlet over and closer to the floor, so that I could use a UPS and an inlet to feed the SMC, but due to the way it's wired, that will be a challenge. The outlet is second on the circuit and the romex feeding it is too short to reach where I'd like. I figured I could either:

• Move it a couple of inches above the the SMC, which will affect the position of wiring into and out of the SMC.
  • Put a junction box above the ceiling which would be accessible by a planned access panel.
  • Pull new wire from my AC distribution panel which is on the other side of the hallway.

Any thoughts? I'm going to have my contractor friend come by and see what he thinks as well.

Room House Floor Plaster

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tim,

Yes it does, at the bottom. The existing outlet is fed from the top and won't reach to the bottom of the SMC. My plan is to have an outlet on the wall with a UPS attached. Then I would feed the SMC off of the UPS using an inlet type plug. It looks like the romex might be long enough to reach the next bay.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Tim,

Yes it does, at the bottom. The existing outlet is fed from the top and won't reach to the bottom of the SMC. My plan is to have an outlet on the wall with a UPS attached. Then I would feed the SMC off of the UPS using an inlet type plug. It looks like the romex might be long enough to reach the next bay.
Could you turn it the other way and put the receptacle at the top? I know it doesn't matter as far as the door or mounting stuff. I just don't recall if there are knockouts to accept conduit next to the receptacle.

Tim

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SMHarman,

I posted a picture a few posts up of the cutout I made for the SMC. You can see the outlet in the upper left of that cut out. I think I should be able to get it over to the left and up a bit. I'll probably tackle that this weekend since it feeds a lot of the convenience items downstairs and I don't really want to be without that if I screw up.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got a bit of work done today. I was able to pull the existing coax from my upstairs office back to where the SMC will go. That will be used to feed the U-verse gateway in the SMC. I was also able to drill a hole up to the wall that is shared between my office and bedroom. This will be for 1/2in smurf tube for future use. I will drill another hole for wiring once I pick up a better drill. This hole was a bit tricky as the sole plate above was almost centered over the joist in the ceiling. I was able to make it through ok, unlike the builder as they found the need to go at an angle through the top of the joist.

I'm considering picking up a second SMC as that would allow me to hide some of the equipment I was planning to place up on a rack. Worse case is it's there for future use. We'll see as Amazon has already sent me two damaged SMCs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts