AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will hopefully start my builds at the end of next week. I will be using a Peavey ipr 7500 to power it. Do I (a)use two speaker connectors on the cabinet and connect each channel of the amp to a single driver? (b) connect the two drivers to present a single 4 ohm load to the amp and run the amp in mono? (c) other??

Thanks

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I believe the IPR7500 can't be bridged into a single channel, so you'd want to wire each channel to a single driver. If you're using Speakon connectors, you can have both drivers wired through a single four-pole connector.

·
Premium Member
11,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How many of these are you building to replace your Submersives?
Some background. I originally had 2 SubMersives (which were stunning in my 3400 cf room) but the optimal position for them was in diagonal corners. I'm waaaay too OCD for that so got two more so the room was symmetrica :eek:l. This room is about the same cubic footage as the room in which I originally had the SubMersives BUT, it is on the 2nd floor. So there is such a thing as too much woofage (unless I want my 2nd floor theater to end up on the first floor). While I still have 4 SubMersives, I am thinking 3 would be more than adequate for this room.

Long story to state that I will initially be starting with two dual opposed HST18's. At worst, according to my estimates, that would slightly less than 3 SubMersives and if that is not enough, will get an additional single HST18.

·
Registered
15,396 Posts
So what has inspired you to replace the Submersives with a DIY creation if you think the Submersives are too much for the room?

·
Premium Member
11,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So what has inspired you to replace the Submersives with a DIY creation if you think the Submersives are too much for the room?
I stated in several other threads that I had changed my mains and surrounds from Seaton to Triad. This swap cost way more than I anticipated (didn't get what I hoped for the Seaton speakers). So in order to try and reduce the effective outlay, decided to replace the SubMersives with DIY. An AVS contact in whose ears I trust (and who has 3 SubMersives) has heard the HT18 (a bunch of them) and, in his words, they killed the Submersives. I am not looking to improve upon what I have, only to at the very least replicate it at a lower cost.

That said, and now knowing what a pain in the rear this sub swap is turning out to be, at this point I would have just sucked it up and kept the SubMersives -- but that's too late now!!

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
You never got your answer.

And you never answered the question of d1 or d2

Like I suggested in PM, if you're OK wiring for 2 ohm loads wire each box for a two ohm load, then run two boxes off each amp.

Unless you're running lots of boost down low or a crazy house curve, or both, you won't run into any issues.

That would be maximizing the amps.

If you want to run 4 ohm loads then wire each driver to each channel of an amp.

·
Registered
21,339 Posts
Yeeesss......
So you hook them up as 4ohm which they are and two in parallel is 2ohm.
He said 'dual opposed'. It's right in the title. ;)

is an ipr7500 going to survive under those conditions? i thought folks were having shutdown problems at low impedances with that amp. i don't recall the details though...

·
Premium Member
11,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
If they are d2's then wire in parallel for a 2ohm load. The 7500 will power each channel down to 2ohm so ... there ya go. ;)

Pretty easy. :D
In answer to the question of are they D1's or D2's I have not specified. I just received the Paypal notice today and am asking that question.

Please forgive me but I have a serious case of DNC: DIY Newbie Confusion: Are the dual voice coils already wired together when they ship or do I decide? So if I wire the voice coils in series, I now have a 4 ohm driver load. Or are you suggesting I wire the drivers together? How do I wire the drivers together AND provide the ability to drive each driver separately without frying the amp (and/or the driver).

And dual_opposed may have to be scrapped in favor of 4 single cabinets as I have not gotten any response on final shipping costs. And the more I think about it, trying to manipulate close to 300 pounds of subwoofer enclosure/driver seems like a bad idea for someone with a less than stellar back.

·
Bass Enabler
21,661 Posts
In answer to the question of are they D1's or D2's I have not specified. I just received the Paypal notice today and am asking that question.

Please forgive me but I have a serious case of DNC: DIY Newbie Confusion: Are the dual voice coils already wired together when they ship or do I decide? So if I wire the voice coils in series, I now have a 4 ohm driver load. Or are you suggesting I wire the drivers together? How do I wire the drivers together AND provide the ability to drive each driver separately without frying the amp (and/or the driver).
When you own a DVC (dual voice coil) driver you can change them at will.

So in your case, if you get the d2's that means you have dual 2ohm voicecoils. This gives you the option of either: dual 2ohm loads (per driver), one 4ohm load (coils in series) or one 1ohm load (coils in parallel).

Likewise if you get d1's you'll have: dual 1ohm load, single 2ohm load or a .5ohm load.

Neither are a bad choice but you'll want to get what is appropriate for how you intend to wire them and power them.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts